Post your questions at https://pollgab.com/room/brento and upvote the questions you’d like to see me discuss.
The light balance on this video is all over the place, getting brighter and darker constantly, so you might wanna leave this one playing in the background and just listen to it rather than watch.
Here’s what we covered:
- 00:00 Introductions
- 00:32 SQL Crooner: What are the tell-tale signs that your SQL Server has been granted too much memory and the OS not enough?
- 02:14 Gülnaz: Is ‘SELECT *’ ok or discouraged when used with ‘IF NOT EXISTS…’ ?
- 03:27 Shingen Yashida: Is table partitioning largely unnecessary since modern SANs can move data to hot / cold storage tiers?
- 04:14 sp_azuresql: Hi Brent – What is the best cut-over strategy in PROD migration scenarios from SQL Server AG to Azure SQL in terms of blocking the incoming traffic (if any) like disabling logins etc?
- 05:53 TurnerBurn: Hi Brent. My company moved a database from a physical SQL 2016 SE cluster to a VM; same SQL ver. VM has fewer cores (24 vs 32) but processing power on the VM is better & memory is the same. I now see many, more deadlocks reported from sp_BlitzLock on the VM vs the physical box.
- 07:38 Noam: On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the online Microsoft SQL Server Documentation and the online PostgreSQL documentation?
- 09:20 Piotr Rasputin: What is your opinion of DP-900 Azure Data Fundamentals certification?
- 10:42 Q-Ent: Hi Brent, is there any scenario where enabling RCSI on a database that uses the default isolation level to turn your data into trash?
- 11:30 Prohiller: Hi, can we somehow predict % decrease of overall CPU usage of a server when optimizing a query? Given that we know difference of CPU time of current and optimized query and number of executions per hour/day? I’m looking for additional KPIs when selling optimization to Business.
- 12:37 MyFriendtheDBA: My friend has a table with 450,000,000 rows on a production server. They want to know the lease disruptive way to index this table.
- 15:10 Yoshiya: What is your opinion of Azure Synapse? Does it compete well with Databricks and Snowflake?
- 15:18 SQL Crooner: What are your top SQL best practices that you wish more clients would follow?