You were helping a sysadmin understand the details of a request for a new virtual server. You whiteboarded a diagram to show how SQL Server uses memory. You got so excited when the sysadmin asked a hard question that you spilled coffee everywhere.
We were tuning queries on a video conference with developers from That Software Company next door. They said they wished you worked with them, because you ask such great questions at the coffee maker.
We’re looking for someone just like you.
We are: a small team of loving SQL commando medics. We parachute in when our clients need help. We diagnose what’s causing their problems and build a plan to solve their biggest pain points. We’re growing, and we’re hiring a full time SQL Server consultant.
The Job: What You’ll Do
As Employee #2, you’ll help clients make their SQL Servers faster and more reliable.
Your missions will usually be short term consulting projects. You will diagnose bottlenecks in storage, problems in Windows and SQL Server configuration, and figure out when queries are killing a server. You’ll help clients understand the root causes of their problem, and you’ll prescribe a custom action plan that solves their issues in the short, medium, and long term.
Although you’ll work from home most of the time, you’ll be an integral part of our team. You’ll adopt our SQL Critical Care™ toolkit and processes, but you’ll also get inspired, and suggest and build improvements for the whole team to use. You’ll work closely with me, Brent, Jeremiah, and Jes during the days: we use chat, email, and hangouts to ask questions and solve problems as a group.
You’ll contribute to our online video training. You’ll challenge yourself and learn something every week.
What We’ll Do for You
We work hard, and we take time off seriously. Our benefits include:
- 6 weeks paid vacation per year
- 1 paid conference, plus 1 week of learning (on projects to be announced soon) — each year. You don’t have to speak at the conference, and it doesn’t count as vacation time.
- Health insurance
- Full time telecommuting with a max of 1 week of travel per 2 months
- Paid certification attempts (whether you pass or fail)
- Home internet/VOIP/cell phone expenses paid
- $3,000 hardware/software budget every 2 years to pick your own tools (we like Apple gear, but you can pick whatever you want – you’re your own IT department)
- If you’re a Microsoft MVP, we pay for your travel and time for the MVP Summit each year.
- We’ve started a tradition of awesome company trips, and we have one booked for February 2014. You and your significant other will be invited along. (You just need a passport.)
To Apply, Send Us Two Things
First, we need to know where you’ve spoken recently and what you talked about. This can include all sorts of public speaking– it doesn’t have to be technical.
Next, tell us how you give back to a technical community. (It doesn’t have to be the SQL Server community.)
Email the details (be specific!) on both of these things to help@BrentOzar.com along with your name, and you’re in the running!
If you’ve only got the good intentions to start speaking soon, don’t apply. Get out there and do it, and tell us about it next time.
Don’t send us your resume. We only want the two items listed above right now.
Life’s not always that easy. It’s probably going to take a while to find the right person this time– and we’re willing to wait as long as we need to. But you never know, so drop us a line fast!