Brent Ozar, Director of Neurosurgery
I make Microsoft SQL Server go faster. I love teaching, travel, and laughing. I live in Iceland with my wife Erika. He/him.
I love pushing SQL Server past the speed limit and showing other people how to drive it faster. I enjoy translating between programmers, sysadmins, SAN admins, and project managers. We find the root of the problem quickly, together, and get everyone working towards the same solutions.
- Microsoft SQL Server performance tuning
- SQL Server in the cloud – particularly Google Compute Engine and AWS EC2 and RDS
- Making kCura Relativity faster
- Storage and SANs
- Server hardware
- How Tim Gunn can make it work
When I’m not flying the Brent Ozar Unlimited private jet, you’ll find me in Iceland with my wife Erika. You’ll also find me at conferences such as SQLBits and SQLSaturdays.
Contact me for restaurant recommendations, or I guess I could help with your database, too.
Some of my favorite past works:
- Performance Tuning kCura Relativity – this popular application uses SQL Server for data storage.
- A Sysadmin’s Guide to SQL Server Memory – how much memory does SQL really need?
- Building Faster SQL Servers – a video of my TechEd 2012 session. I’m so honored to be chosen as one of the top 10 sessions at both the North America and Europe conferences!
- Learn to Speak DBA Slang – okay, these aren’t really real terms.
- SAN Best Practices – the storage doesn’t have to be a black box.
- SQL Server at StackOverflow.com – how one of my clients uses AlwaysOn.
- Top 10 Keys to Deploying SQL Server on VMware – I get these questions a lot.
My online training classes include:
- Mastering Server Tuning – where I show you how to use wait stats to find the right queries & indexes to tune, or change server settings, and you work alongside me in a lab VM
- Recorded Class Season Pass – dozens of hours of training about performance tuning and high availability
- How to Think Like SQL Server – free 90-minute introduction to internals
- Custom onsite training – I fly to your office and train your entire team