You need to speed up a SQL Server, but you’re not sure where to begin. Is it a database problem? A query issue? Not enough hardware? Goofy SQL Server settings? Good news – I do this for a living, and I’ll teach you how in 3 days of learning and fun. Join me, Brent Ozar, as I explain how to assess your SQL Server’s bottlenecks and figure out where to focus your tuning efforts.
You’ll work along with me in a VM – each student gets their own SQL Server 2017 lab VM in the cloud with the Stack Overflow database and running workloads. Each day is structured like this:
- 9AM-Noon – lectures, where I explain the concepts you’ll be working on
- Noon-2PM – lab and lunch. It’s up to you whether you work on the lab for an hour first, then go to lunch, or vice versa, or spend more time on the lab. Or have martinis for lunch. Whatever.
- 2PM-3PM – you watch me work through the lab you just did, explaining my techniques as I go.
- 3PM-4PM – afternoon lecture
- 4PM-5PM – lab homework (and you can also work on this later if you like – your VM will stay on overnight.)
This mix of lectures and labs helps reinforce the topics you’re learning and makes sure that you’ll be able to tackle the same kinds of projects in your own environment. (Many students do just that: after hours, they switch into their own environments and use the same diagnostic queries to make immediate improvements in their apps.)
Labs & lectures include:
- How to use sp_BlitzFirst and the Power BI Dashboard to identify your server’s top bottlenecks
- How to fix common wait types like CXPACKET, PAGEIOLATCH, LCK%, SOS_SCHEDULER_YIELD
- How to identify and mitigate poison wait types like RESOURCE_SEMAPHORE and THREADPOOL
- How to prove that your changes made things better
- How to decide whether configuration changes, query/index tuning, or hardware/VM changes will give you the biggest bang for the buck
This is an online class – I (Brent) host it in GoToWebinar, live with me on webcam, taking questions as we go through the material together. Audio can come through either your computer audio, or by dialing into a US phone number – headset recommended either way. For more information, check out the Training Logistics PDF for our online classes.
You can watch again later with Instant Replay – for one year from the date of your course, you can watch a recorded version via online streaming. Brush up on stuff you missed or revisit your favorite topics. It’s the best of both worlds: live training with Brent, plus reminders.
Prerequisites – this course won’t explain anything about index or query tuning, but we WILL be telling you things like, “For this particular wait, you’ll need to look for these types of queries, and tune them by doing X.” We won’t explain those concepts here – we’re only going to be looking out across the entire server, and figuring out what tasks we need to perform. In some cases, you’ll be able to fix the problem just with hardware or SQL Server settings, but be aware that that’s not usually the case. Therefore, for the best possible experience, we’d recommend taking both Mastering Index Tuning and Mastering Query Tuning before tackling this class.
Class dates & times:
- May 1-3, 2018 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)
- Aug 15-17, 2018 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)
- Nov 19-21, 2018 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)
- February 4-6, 2019 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)
- May 1-3, 2019 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)