You need to speed up a SQL Server, but you’re not sure where to begin. Is it a database problem? A query issue? Not enough hardware? Goofy SQL Server settings? Good news – I do this for a living, and I’ll teach you how in 3 days of learning and fun. Join me, Brent Ozar, as I explain how to assess your SQL Server’s bottlenecks and figure out where to focus your tuning efforts.
Labs & lectures include:
- How to use sp_BlitzFirst to identify your server’s top bottlenecks
- How to fix common wait types like CXPACKET, PAGEIOLATCH, LCK%, SOS_SCHEDULER_YIELD
- How to identify and mitigate poison wait types like RESOURCE_SEMAPHORE and THREADPOOL
- How to prove that your changes made things better
- How to decide whether configuration changes, query/index tuning, or hardware/VM changes will give you the biggest bang for the buck
Prerequisites – this course won’t explain anything about index or query tuning, but we WILL be telling you things like, “For this particular wait, you’ll need to look for these types of queries, and tune them by doing X.” We won’t explain those concepts here – we’re only going to be looking out across the entire server, and figuring out what tasks we need to perform. In some cases, you’ll be able to fix the problem just with hardware or SQL Server settings, but be aware that that’s not usually the case. Therefore, for the best possible experience, we’d recommend taking ALL of these before conquering Mastering Server Tuning, the most complex class I teach:
- How to Think Like the SQL Server Engine
- Fundamentals of Index Tuning
- Fundamentals of Query Tuning
- Fundamentals of Parameter Sniffing
- Mastering Index Tuning
- Mastering Query Tuning
- After you enroll, do the full prerequisites including chat setup.
Each student needs to bring their own SQL Server. You’re highly encouraged to follow along with the labs – twice a day during the class, you’ll have homework where you need to complete a hands-on lab using SQL Server 2017 or 2019 and the Stack Overflow database. Read the instructions on how to set up your own lab SQL Server to follow along – a lab server is not included unless you buy my Live Class Season Pass PLUS Lab VM.
This mix of lectures and hands-on labs helps reinforce the topics you’re learning and makes sure that you’ll be able to tackle the same kinds of projects in your own environment. (Many students do just that: after hours, they switch into their own environments and use the same diagnostic queries to make immediate improvements in their apps.)
This is a live online class – but you have two buying choices:
- Instant Replay Recordings Only – you can start streaming the Instant Replay recordings as soon as you buy. You don’t have to wait for a live class – you can start learning immediately using the recording from the most recent class. You can watch for a year straight.
- Live Class + Instant Replay – not only do you get instant access to the most recent recordings, but you can also attend all of the live deliveries of this class for 12 months after you buy your ticket. Read the live class logistics page. Here are the upcoming dates scheduled so far:
- September 9-11 (Weds/Thurs/Fri), 2020 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (click to see in your own time zone)
- January 15-17 (Fri/Sat/Sun), 2021 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (click to see in your own time zone)
- February 9-11 (Tues/Weds/Thurs), 2021 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (click to see in your own time zone)
- January 15-17 (Fri/Sat/Sun), 2021 online 9:00-3:00 Eastern (click to see in your own time zone)
- April 30-May 2 (Fri/Sat/Sun), 2021 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (click to see in your own time zone)