Hi, Brent here! I’m really excited to welcome you to Mastering Server Tuning.
Read this whole page: there’s a lot of stuff in here for you.
Watch How to Think Like the Engine and Fundamentals of Index Tuning.
Before we get started, I need to make sure that we’ve covered the basics:
- Required: How to Think Like the Engine – free 90-minute class that covers the foundations of clustered and nonclustered indexes, statistics, memory grants, and sargability.
- Required: Fundamentals of Index Tuning – 4-hour class that covers how to index for WHERE, ORDER BY, and JOINs, and covers how to pick the field order for indexes.
- Optional, but highly recommended: take Mastering Index Tuning and Mastering Query Tuning. This class will assume you already know these topics. In this class, you’re going to be fixing servers – which involves fixing indexes and queries first.
Armed with the material in those classes, you’ll be well-equipped to keep up in this Mastering class.
Now, get your computer ready for the webcast.
To ask questions and talk to the other attendees, go to https://www.brentozar.com/slack/ to get an instant invite, then join the #BrentOzarUnlimited channel. This way attendees can help each other with their questions during the live labs.
Audio will come through your computer speakers, so you’ll want clear speakers or a set of headphones. (You don’t have to worry about a microphone or webcam – other attendees won’t see or hear you.)
To follow along with the demos and do the homework assignments, here’s how to set up your training class VM. This actually takes a few hours, so set aside some time to do this long before class day.
- 0.2 Download the Slides and Scripts
- 1.1 How to Measure Your SQL Server
- 1.2 How to Fix PAGEIOLATCH Waits
- 1.3 Lab 1: Fixing PAGEIOLATCH Waits
- 1.4 How to Fix CPU Waits (SOS_SCHEDULER_YIELD)
- 1.5 Lab 2: CPU-Intensive Workload
- 2.1 How to Fix Parallelism Waits (CXPACKET, CXCONSUMER, and LATCH_EX)
- 2.2 Plan Caching and Parameterization
- 2.3 Lab 3: Mixed Workload
- 2.4 How to Fix Blocking Waits (LCK%)
- 2.5 Lab 4 Setup: Planning the Work
- 3.1 How to Fix Worker Thread Waits (THREADPOOL)
- 3.2 How to Fix Query Memory Waits (RESOURCE_SEMAPHORE)
- 3.3 How to Fix Hardware-Sounding Waits (WRITELOG, HADR_SYNC_COMMIT, ASYNC_NETWORK_IO)
- 3.4 Lab 5 Setup: Architecture Changes
- 3.5 How to Triage Performance Emergencies
- 3.6 Lab 6 Setup: Emergency Triage
- Bonus: Abnormal Parallelism
- Bonus: Storytelling Time