Using the SQL Community Slack Channels for #BrentOzarUnlimited and #FirstResponderKit
The SQL Server community gets together in Slack, a free chat platform. To get started:
- Get an instant free invite from https://dbatools.io/slack/ or this backup link. Note that if these links are down, they’re managed by the team behind dbatools.io, and they’re the only ones who can fix it. Check with them first.
- After accepting the invite, you can go to https://sqlcommunity.slack.com
- #BrentOzarUnlimited is where we talk during training classes
- #FirstResponderKit is where you can ask questions about how sp_Blitz and friends work
- #SQLhelp is where you can ask general tech support questions
Don’t drag & drop files into Slack – the free community Slack version has a pretty limited amount of file space. Instead, if you want to share pictures, upload them to imgur, and then copy/paste the link to the file into Slack.
When you want to show an animated gif of happy puppies (or whatever you want to show), type /giphy and then your search terms:
/giphy happy puppies
Just keep in mind that some gifs may not be safe for work.
When you want to share code, click the little plus sign next to where you type things in, then click “code or text snippet.” Then, whatever you copy/paste in will be really nicely formatted. You can even choose syntax highlighting options for different languages like SQL.