Erika and I are on the road in Iceland, roaming around the countryside, and I’m taking you with us. We visited Grímsey, a tiny island on the Arctic Circle, home to gazillions of sea birds like puffins and arctic terns. I took about half an hour to answer your most highly-voted questions from here:
Questions covered in the video:
- 00:00 Introductions
- 01:43 Should developers create indexes for their queries?
- 03:28 Do you recommend monitoring for resource-intensive queries?
- 04:40 How should I set max server memory?
- 07:30 How much free space in buffer pages is acceptable?
- 09:42 How can I fix implicit conversion in a 3rd party app?
- 11:55 How do you organize tasks for productivity?
- 14:00 How do you manage your mental state for productivity?
- 16:02 Why might too many indexes slow down selects?
- 18:00 What’s better – queries in the app or in stored procedures?
- 22:06 How do I prioritize DBA tasks?
- 23:38 How do I find which queries are winning the deadlocks?
- 24:35 How do I find out what my memory is being used for?
- 26:10 Wrap-up
- 27:40 Walking you over to the puffins
If you’ve got something you’d like to see me cover, ask your questions here, and while you’re at it, upvote other questions that you’d like to see covered. I’ll take the highest-upvoted questions and talk through ’em in an upcoming webcast.