In no particular order:
- Database Level Option for Storing Wait Stats – just like we can store query plan history in Query Store, it’d be awesome to get performance history over time.
- Give more info on the “String or Binary Data Would be Truncated” error – tell us which column, and what row tried to violate it.
- Sync instance-level objects in an AG – logins, linked servers, Agent jobs & schedules, encryption keys, certs, etc. Doesn’t have to be all objects – could be just objects created with a FOR REPLICATION option kinda like how replication does it, but I understand that it’d be a pretty big change to pull that off. Make no little plans.
- SSMS keyboard shortcut to execute just one statement – execute the line where my cursor is on. Man, I adore this feature in the PostgreSQL client that I use, and every time I come back to SSMS, I cringe that I don’t have it.
- Query stats DMV doesn’t include batch mode spills – columnstore is still a bit of a niche product, but as batch mode processing inevitably comes for rowstore tables, this bug is going to become a much bigger deal.
- Add a built-in numbers table – these things are fantastically useful, and having a built-in standard one would make code portability better.
- Unlogged tables – there are some tables you just don’t need to cleanly recover (like staging tables in a data warehouse) and you’d be willing to sacrifice recovery for faster loading. No, non-durable tables aren’t the answer because those are in-memory only.
- Minimal logging problems in 2017 – minimal logging has never been easy to achieve, but now even when you play by the rules, it’s getting harder.
- SSMS edit-query-text doesn’t show you the real query text – this bug bugs the hell out of me.
- SSMS add a search box to Object Explorer – on databases with hundreds of objects, this would make life way easier.
- Automatic updating of SSMS – most new apps have a check-for-update link built in these days, but I understand why Microsoft chose not to do this. Updating SSMS isn’t that hard.
- Batch mode support for rowstore queries – I’m guessing this only has 3 votes because people know it’s already coming, maybe?
- Build a distributed version – how hard can it be? (giggles)
- HTTP Request Function – wants the ability to query web services to get data. I can’t imagine how that could possibly turn out badly.