Since the dawn of man, people have struggled with sharing execution plans with each other for performance tuning. Now, it’s easy.
First, get yourself a plan:
- Get the estimated execution plan by hitting control-L or clicking Query, Display Estimated Plan. Right-click on the graphical plan, and click View XML. Copy all of that.
- Or even better, get the actual plan by first clicking Query, Include Actual Execution Plan, and then running the query. After it finishes, click on the Execution Plan tab, right-click on the plan, and click View XML. Copy all of that.
- Don’t know which query to check out? Get your top 10 most resource-intensive queries using the totally free sp_BlitzCache.
Make sure it doesn’t have private data. Your company may consider database names, index names, queries, or parameters to be private data. (This same advice holds true whenever you script a database, give someone a query, or post a question online, but I feel like I just gotta repeat it here to be clear.)
Then go to PasteThePlan.com and paste it in:
It’s a free community service. We hope you love it as much as we do, especially all the cool new execution plan icons by our illustrator, Eric Larsen.
Down the road, we’re thinking about adding logins (so you can see past plans you’ve submitted), execution plan advice, image and HTML downloads (so you can embed the plan in your own blog or report), zooming, and more.
Show Us Your Worst Plans
and Win an Everything Bundle
We wanna see the worst queries you can cram under the upload size limit (2MB). We’re specifically looking for:
- Lots of different operators (like, as many different plan operators as you can get into a plan)
- Huge, ugly statements
- Large numbers of statements that do crazy things
They don’t have to be “in-the-wild” queries – you can totally design and build your own test queries to enter.
If you’re entering the contest, leave a comment here with your plan URL and what you think is bad about the plan. Entry deadline is Sunday, September 18th. We’ll judge what we think are the 5 worst execution plans, and we’ll give each winner a free Everything Bundle.