It’s the news we’ve all been waiting for!
This PDF lays out the differences between editions, and here’s a few points that stand out:
- Standard Edition now goes up to 24 cores, and still just 128GB max memory
Query Store is Enterprise Edition only(see update below)
- Always Encrypted is Enterprise only, thereby killing its adoption rate among ISVs
- In-memory analytics, R integration are Enterprise only
- Business Intelligence Edition is gone with the wind
- According to the newly released TPC-H benchmark Executive Summary, Enterprise Edition still costs around $7k USD per core
Great news! Let me know what you think in the comments.
UPDATE 6:30PM – Microsoft unveiled a more detailed feature comparison by edition, and this one says Query Store will be available in all editions (including Express!)