SQL Interview Questions
Interviewing and hiring database administrators is tough for managers. It’s hard to understand what a DBA does, let alone whether or not the DBA is good at it. This is especially difficult in shops with just one DBA, and that DBA is now gone – or when you’re hiring your first DBA.
- Core DBA questions (23 minutes) – things I think most DBAs should know
- Infrastructure DBA questions (19m) – hardware, storage, virtualization, Windows
- Development DBA questions (20m) – performance tuning queries and indexes
- Screenshot questions (13m) – I show you a screenshot, and you tell me what you see
- Open-ended questions (10m) – story-telling questions where I want you to talk about your experience and this job
- Bad DBA Job Detector Test (19m) – how to gauge your own goals first, then how to read a job description and understand whether it makes sense for you
Developer, Sysadmin, and SQL Interview Questions
- Top 10 Questions to Ask a Senior SQL Server DBA – if you’re hiring a database administrator, here’s ten questions to ask along with the types of answers you should expect to hear.
- Top 10 Developer Interview Questions About SQL Server – the best questions to ask in an interview of a developer who will be storing data in SQL Server. Whether you’re hiring a C#, VB, or Java developer, they all need to know the basics.
- Windows System Administrator Interview Questions – how to find the right candidates to manage backups, network infrastructures, and desktop support.
Good Tips for Interviewing Database Administrators
- How to Hire Top Talent – First of all, you’re not the only one looking. But guess what? You’re probably looking for the wrong person, and you’re almost certainly asking the wrong questions.
- The Myth of the Perfectly Qualified Candidate – companies look for someone with exactly the right amount of experience – but what kind of employee has it? I explain.
- (SQL Server) Size Matters – how to determine if a DBA’s experience is right for your company.
- Tips for Hiring a DBA – my thoughts after going through the interview process at a few companies.
- Show Candidates Their Work Areas – and watch their reactions. It’ll help you gauge if they’re a good fit for you, plus give you insight about your environment.
Interview Tips for Candidates
- Top Ten Questions to Ask at Your Own Job Interview – avoid taking a crappy job that you’ll regret later!
- How to Get a Telecommuting Job – I’ve been telecommuting off and on since 2000, and I’ve accumulated a set of tips on how to get a remote DBA job.
- Being the Porsche of Job Candidates – you can get a decent job by being a decent candidate, but to get the best jobs, you have to be the best candidate. That means having an online presence.
- Ask for a List of Servers – DBA candidates need to ask as many questions as they answer during the interview.
Need to Practice for Your Next Interview?
We’ve got training! Brent recorded videos helping you prepare and practice for interviews with 100 practice DBA interview questions on on your desktop, laptop, iPad, or iPhone. Learn more.