Failsafe Operator Not Configured
sp_Blitz® Result: Failsafe Operator Not Configured
A Fail-safe Operator is used if:
- msdb is unreachable by SQL Agent services
- Attempts to contact other Operators have failed
- No other Operators are on duty
Information about the Fail-safe Operator is stored in the registry so it can be accessed if SQL has had an oopsie.
This part of our SQL Server sp_Blitz script checks sp_MSgetalertinfo to make sure failsafe operators are configured.
To Fix the Problem
Reconfigure your SQL Server Agent to have a failsafe operator using the steps below.
How to Configure a Failsafe Operator for SQL Server Agent
There’s a couple pre-requisites before you get started, or the steps below won’t work:
After that, you’re ready to go!
Right click on SQL Server Agent, select Properties, then navigate to the Alert System page. Configure it like the image below:
- Enable a mail profile
- Choose Database Mail as the Mail System
- Choose the appropriate Mail Profile
- Enable a fail-safe operator
- Choose the operator
- Choose Email as the Notification type