Got Azure SQL DB and SQL Server questions? Post them at https://pollgab.com/room/brento and I’ll answer the top-voted ones. This episode comes to you from Dyrhólaey, where I was completely surprised to find puffins at this time of year.
Here’s what we covered today:
- 00:00 Start
- 01:01 Debaucherous DBA: When moving DB files from one drive to separate drives for different file types, do you recommend any particular order of operations? For example, should system DBs be moved before user DBs and should system DBs be moved in a specific order? Thank you in advance for your help!
- 02:44 Safraz: Hey Brent, Thanks for all that you do. Off-topic question:Have you ever sat in an Oracle tuning lecture or talk and what was your initial reaction to the similarities or differences between Oracle and SQL Server tuning?
- 05:24 AJ: A lot of people at my company run SQL using subqueries in the FROM clause that could easily just be in the WHERE clause. Would this cause performance issues if bots run these queries hundreds/thousands of times. (They’re also parameterized)
- 06:14 JerseyDBA: Recently I have run into an issue where I am getting memory grant issues. The queries pull 18+ million records and do not fail or need any more index tuning but are clearing the plan cache. Is there another technic to tackle the memory grant problem besides tunning?
- 08:30 PrayEveryMorningToSQL: Company A, bought Company B, company B is using SQL Server (+350 DBs / +17TB ). Company A created a technical team to “help everyone better mutualize resources..”. One of first recomendations, “migrate to Postgres”. My answer: “No”. How to handle this with management? Worth it?
- 09:37 Rimuru Tempest Slime Demonlord: I would like to get ur position on sql on prem vs cloud I don’t think a 4B a year revnue company shud create unnecessary reliability w/ 3rd party vendor. Also we hv a big data center foot print, they should create jobs instead Considering same setup what is ur position on this.
- 10:23 Clarence Oveur: When did you make the jump to Apple Mac and why?
- 13:19 AllegedDBA: Do you think Microsoft will ever offer object-level restore capability? Why not?
- 13:47 Bollywood DBA: Just a fun fact. I keep seeing Bollywood actors asking tou DBA questions. : ) e.g. Aamir Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Sonakshi Sinha Balraj Sahni. Not sure whether anyone else noticed this or not.
- 14:19 Steve: As sysadmin y can’t I see SSIS connectns& activities, traces, activity monitor, sp_who, …? I believe not having any tbl seeing any other activity. Running packages w/o error using VS2019 oledb connect & dtsdebughost or dtexec exes all on same desktop as the SQL server itself