Hey, you! You look smart. Here are highly-upvoted questions that fellow readers submitted at https://pollgab.com/room/brento that I don’t have answers for. If you’d like to jump into the comments, you can reference questions by number with your answers. Time to show off your brains!
- Kansas4444 asks: Hi Brent, do you have any advice on calculating checksum for an entire row on SQL Server ? (Brent says: I’ve never had to do this, so no idea.)
- Margaret asks: Hi Brent — we are in the process of doing a lot of VLF reductions across the farm and I wanted to ask if issuing a CHECKPOINT command before trying to shrink the log was anything that might cause problems going forward?
- Stanley Burrell: What is your opinion of Microsoft PerfInsights for load testing prospective new SQL Server VMs? (Brent says: never even heard of it.)
- BamDBA asks: When using Transparent Data Encryption for databases in Availability Groups in a busy environment, are there any tips/best practices to increase performance?
- I’m_Trying asks: Are you aware of any way to implement multifactor authentication for versions previous to SQL 2022 for on prem databases?
- LCK_Tess_Monster: RE: MAXDOP=0 & Mastering Indexing – before moving to Azure, I saw intensive queries cause blocking to its internal threads in ActMon without causing problems for others. Under what circumstances could blocking internal to a SPID slow down IX creation or was it a false positive?
- Ricardo: To refresh our SSRS server I want to move from backup /restore to Replication but am in 2 minds whether to replicate into the current database or a new one? A new one would be cleaner but we seem to have many reports with environmental requirements like hard-coded database names. (Brent says: this is the kind of thing I’d do a consulting engagement to really understand the requirements, available resources, budget, etc, but maybe some of y’all have free answers for them.)
- DGW in OKC: What is your opinion of Azure AD? Does it work well with on-prem SQL Server security?
- hamburger sandwich asks: How do you automate windows server OS updates for SQL Server high availability group clusters? (Brent says: this question comes up a lot, and I haven’t ever seen a good answer that didn’t involve possibly rolling back open transactions or backups, but maybe y’all have seen something I haven’t.)
- Junior DBA wannabe asks: How would you script the creation of a database and add it to AG replication from a single node? Same for app login creation
- HotPotatoJuggler asks: DBA says SQL Server DB wait states are negligable. Webserver has resource, and is barely moving the dial. Connection from webserver to DB <8ms. Running query <2ms. 300ms for the .net adapter to fill for each call (x20). AWS just old instance – do they slow them down? 🙂 Any clues? (Brent says: I’m not even sure what the hell this is asking.)
- Frozt asks: Hi Brent, Do you have any gotcha’s we got to be aware regarding Always Encrypted with Enclaves? Also is this better than application level encryption?
Curious to see what y’all say!