Post your questions at https://pollgab.com/room/brento and upvote the ones you’d like to see me cover. Today, I’m dodging work, so I went through your questions while I waited for the coffee shop to open:
Here’s what we covered:
- 00:00 Introductions
- 03:28 Ivan: What are the top signs that a table has a poor clustered index?
- 05:39 NotCloseEnough2RetirementToStopLearning: Hi Brent, it seems the job market wants and is paying more for data generalists (wider but less deep skillset) than data specialists (DBA, deep but less wide skillset). This seems to be limiting salaries and the number of Senior positions. Any thoughts or comments?
- 07:52 Gennady: When should you use a table per year of data (and union them together in a view) vs using formal sql table partitioning?
- 12:32 Mr. Ed: How would I determine if my IT team needs a DBA?
- 14:28 Tom: Can you recommend a live T-SQL class?
- 15:23 Jorriss: If you were a woodchuck, would you prefer brick and mortar structures?
- 17:18 J.P.: Why should I learn noSQL if I know SQL? Is it only because of the speed?
- 19:06 Rob: We have a 4.8 tb SharePoint database that is causing a lot of issues like backups due to the file size. Has anyone run across this issue?