Every year, we publish an open Data Professional Salary Survey. Last year, 3,113 folks from 73 countries answered, so we’re doing it again this year.
Here are the questions we asked last year. If there’s any changes you want to make, leave a comment and we’ll talk through it as a community. I want to make sure it’s as valuable as possible for y’all.
1. What’s your total salary in US dollars, ANNUAL BEFORE TAXES?
2. Your country: (dropdown list with countries)
Optional: Postal/zip code
3. Primary database you work with: (dropdown list populated with the top 10 from DB-Engines.com (plus a couple of niche Microsoft products.)
4. Years that you’ve worked with this database: (open)
5. Other databases you worked with in 2018: (mark all that apply)
6. Job type: (pick one):
- Full time employee
- Full time employee of a consulting/contracting company
- Independent consultant, contractor, freelancer, or company owner
- Part time
7. Job title (primary area of focus – pick one):
- Data Scientist
- DBA (Development Focus – tunes queries, indexes, does deployments)
- DBA (Production Focus – build & troubleshoot servers, HA/DR)
- DBA (General – splits time evenly between writing & tuning queries, building & troubleshooting servers)
- Developer: App code (C#, JS, etc)
- Developer: BI (SSRS, Power BI, etc)
- Developer: T-SQL
Optional: Other job duties (same list as above, but check boxes for things you spend at least 4 hours per week doing)
8. Do you manage other staff? (yes/no)
9. Years of doing this job: (open)
10. How many other people on your team do the same job as you? 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, >5
11. How many database servers does your team work with? (open)
12. Highest level of higher education completed? (None, 2 years, 4 years, Masters, Doctorate/PhD)
13. If you have a college degree, is it computer-related? (yes/no)
14. Do you hold industry certifications? (No, yes but expired, yes and currently valid)
15. How many hours do you work per week, on average? (open)
16. How many days per week do you work from home? 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, >=5
17. What kinds of work do you do? Mark all that apply:
- Build scripts & automation tools
- Manual tasks
- Meetings & management
- On-call as part of a rotation
- On-call 24/7/365
18. Employer sector (pick one)
- Private business
- Education (K-12, college, university, etc)
- Local government
- State/province government
- Federal government
19. Are you looking for another job right now? (No, yes but only passively, yes actively)
20. What are your career plans for the year 2019?
- Stay with the same employer, same role
- Stay with the same employer, but change roles
- Stay with the same role, but change employers
- Change both employers and roles
21. To which gender do you most identify? (female, male, non-binary/third gender, prefer not to say, other)
Discuss changes you want in the comments below.
If you want to add a question, keep in mind that we’ll cap this at 25 questions max – the longer surveys get, the less likely people are to fill the whole thing out. You need to make a really compelling case about why it would be useful for the entire population, not just a small subset. If you want to add a question, you also need to tell us which question you’d like to remove.
If you want a fancy user interface, especially to pick a geographic location, remember that we’re doing this with Google Forms in order to keep costs down (free.) Don’t say something like, “You should build a web app that lets me point and click on a map to define where I am.” Find us something free or cheap that we can use as-is with zero development time, and I’m definitely interested.