The Gods of the Copy Book Headings Frowned Upon Me
So yesterday, I pushed out a new FRK.
You could say I FRKed up, and you’d be right.
See, before I push stuff to master, I do a round of testing in our AWS lab to find version-specific bugs and make sure everything is at least compiling.
If the round of testing passes, I bump version numbers and merge the changes into the master branch.
Yesterday, I found a bug in sp_BlitzCache after bucketing some checks into version-specific sections. I did this to avoid unnecessary XML processing.
For example, versions of SQL Server prior to 2012 don’t have a NonParallelPlanReason in there, so I figured I’d save some CPU cycles by not looking for it. Trace Flags are also only in newer versions, so I added a version check for them too.
The error was that later on in sp_BlitzCache, we look at the #trace_flags table to provide information about which trace flags are enabled, and that select needed a version check, too. So I added that, bumped version numbers, and then…
Well, that didn’t make it to the master branch.
Until this morning.
After causing some grief for a user.
The issue has been fixed, and everything has been updated and refreshed on our end. If you use older versions of SQL Server, and sp_BlitzCache, you’ll definitely want to download the update.
I’m looking at better ways to do the last round of testing and make sure this doesn’t happen again. If anyone out there has any Hot Git Tricks (aside from “pay attention, dummy”), leave a comment.
My Walk Of Shame continues.