Let’s run an anonymous database-industry-wide salary survey that you could actually use when talking to managers.
Here’s the questions I’ve thought of so far – not unlimited, but just trying to strike a balance between questions that would actually give you some value, versus not so many questions that people won’t bother filling it out:
- Salary in USD, annual
- Continent (multiple choice)
- Country (multiple choice)
- State/province (multiple choice if I can get it to work)
- Primary database you work with (multiple choice with the top ~10 databases from DB-engines.com, and “other”)
- How long have you been working with this database, in years
- Other databases you work with (multiple choice, same list as #5)
- Job title (multiple choice, with “other”)
- How long have you been doing this job, in years
- How many other people on your team do the same job as you
- How many database servers does your team work with
- Employer (full time employee, full time employee of consulting/contracting company, or independent/freelance/contractor)
- Highest level of college education completed (no college degree, bachelors, masters, doctorate)
- If you have a college degree, is it in computer science? (yes/no)
- Do you have current industry certifications? (yes/no)
- Are you looking for another job right now? (no, yes but only passively, or yes/actively)
Are there any other questions you’d want to ask? We’ll gather your feedback and then launch it next week.
Update 2017/01/05 – thanks for the ideas, everybody! Closing the comments on this one, and the survey is open now through January 15, and we’ll publish the results on the blog on January 19th.