One of the most popular posts on this site of all time is a SQL Server Setup Checklist that Brent started way back in March 2008. Over the years, we’ve updated the post and kept it fresh for installing and configuring SQL Server 2005, 2008, 2008R2, 2012, and 2014.
Now we’ve taken it one step further: we’ve created a free PDF of the setup guide for you. Download it, print it, and check items off as you work your way through your next SQL Server installation. We’ll be your co-pilots making sure you don’t miss a critical step.
The guide helps you:
- Validate you’ve got the right basic redundancy in your hardware
- Configure and test HBAs and multi-pathing
- Configure your system drive, and page file for SQL Server
- Provision storage for backups
- Create Service Accounts and grant permissions for settings like Instant File Initialization
- Format drives for the best performance
- Set up Anti-Virus with Microsoft recommended best practices
- Install and configure SQL Server
- Set up maintenance to run backups, manage index fragmentation, and check for corruption
- Get basic monitoring and alerting from the SQL Server Agent
- Design the right number of files and layout for tempdb
- Copy SQL Server logins from other servers
- Install free tools and run a health check against SQL Server