How to Become a Database Administrator
Want to become a SQL Server DBA? It’s a great career path and we recommend it highly. We’ve gathered some of our more popular blog posts here about how to get started:
SQL Server Training Books and Tutorials We Recommend
- Recommended Books for DBAs and Developers – the books that should be on your shopping list.
- Free SQL Server Training Videos – podcasts, webcasts and videos you can get for free.
- SQL Server Compliance Guide – this ebook from Microsoft teaches you about PCI/HIPAA/SOX compliance issues that many DBAs face. Even if you don’t work in a big shop like that now, you can still learn a lot from this very well-written whitepaper.
- All About Indexes
- Browse All Posts Tagged with “SQL Server Training”
How to Become a SQL Server DBA
- How to Get Your First DBA Job (video) - Kendra helps you break into the field
- Should I Specialize? – lots of readers commented on this article about whether you should learn a lot of things, or just a few.
- Certifications Are the Icing on the Cake – wondering whether or not you should get a certification?
- Development DBA or Production DBA? – job duties are different for these two DBA roles. Developers become one kind of DBA, and network administrators or sysadmins become a different kind. I explain why.
- Take Ownership of Your Career – feel like you’re being treated unfairly by management? Read this.
- What Should DBAs Learn in Their Spare Time? – how to prioritize what you need to learn at different points in your career.
Soft Skills for SQL Server Database Administrators
- Eight DBAs Talk About Their Jobs – Brent got interviewed by Odin Jobs on why DBA careers rock.
- Meeting Other SQL DBAs with Twitter – a social networking tool that helps you meet other SQL Server experts and see what they’re working on.
- Be the Porsche of Job Candidates – you don’t have to have an online presence to get a job – but it really helps differentiate you from everybody else.
- How to Become an MVP – wanna become a Microsoft MVP? This quiz will show if you’ve got what it takes.
How to Get a Telecommuting Job
We’ve been telecommuting off and on since 2000, and Brent’s amassed a lot of tips and tricks along the way:
- How to Get a Telecommuting Job – first hint: look in cities with high costs of living where employees are expensive.
- How Telecommuters Stay Motivated – put the TV remote down and learn how to focus.
- How to Write a Telecommuting Status Report – show managers that you’re making progress and staying busy.
- How to Get Things Done while Telecommuting – I’m a big fan of David Allen’s tricks on how to stay productive.
Need Help to Ace a SQL Server DBA Interview?
We’ve got training! For $29 you get 18 months of access to videos helping you prepare and practice for interviews with 100 practice DBA interview questions on on your desktop, laptop, iPad, or iPhone. Learn more or buy it now.