There’s a new version in town. v18 adds new checks looking for:
- Backups stored on the same drive letters as user databases (Thanks @AlinSelicean!)
- Agent jobs that don’t have failure notifications set up (Thanks @Thirster42!)
- Shows free drive space per drive letter if you pass @CheckServerInfo = 1 in. We don’t consider this a problem – we just show additional info if you use this parameter.
- Added the elevated database permissions check back in (whoops! dropped it accidentally)
Plus bug fixes and improvements including:
- Lots and lots of typos
- Ignore max file sizes for filestream data files
- Switched a lot of @@SERVERNAME usage out with SERVERPROPERTY(‘ServerName’) because in some SQL Server cloud implementations, those don’t match, and it’s okay.
- Changed database name variables to be NVARCHAR(128) to handle those monster SharePoint databases
- Improved the non-aligned-indexes check to return results even if the index hasn’t been used
And more. Version 17 also added a neat new exclusions table parameter – if you’re the kind of DBA who wants to automate sp_Blitz® data collection throughout the environment, but you want to skip certain checks or certain databases, you can do that now. I haven’t written up full instructions on that, but the basic idea is pretty obvious within reading the first 100-200 lines of the code.
As always, you can get the latest version and instructions from http://www.BrentOzar.com/blitz/. If you’d like to contribute code, you can email us at Help@BrentOzar.com. I’m still working through a backlog of about 20 more new check contributions, and we’ve got some fun stuff coming – including a thank-you page listing the contributors and their work.