Road trip time! I’m recovering from jet lag after flying over to Iceland, so I went through your top-voted questions from https://pollgab.com/room/brento.
Here’s what we covered:
- 00:00 Start
- 00:55 Shehroz Sabzwari: What are your pros / cons for running on-prem SQL Server in a VM versus bare metal?
- 02:04 adba: what are your recommendations for windows performance plan for sql server running on a VM. My private cloud vendor says it is not required to be set to high performance.
- 03:25 Holy: Can’t you agree that all RDBMS databases are approaching their limits, just as ISAM databases did in the 1980s and 1990s?
- 05:47 sandimschuh: Hi Brent, is it always safe to change the database setting from Read Committed to RCSI? What kind of queries or query patterns will be negatively affected by this change?
- 07:04 Mike Conrad: Hi Brent, My team uses system versioned tables a lot. Our ORM, EFcore, sometimes will write updates that don’t change any data, but this does generate a new HISTORY table row, bloating our audit trail. Are instead of triggers a viable way to prevent this?