Y’all just never run out of interesting questions at https://pollgab.com/room/brento! I’m impressed, got another great round today.
Here’s what we covered:
- 00:00 Start
- 00:25 Chrisbell: Recently we’ve been facing thread starvation issues. How can we troubleshoot it when even sp_whoisactive ( even with DAC ) is unresponsive and takes forever to return a result set ? How can we get to the root cause of this since its all happening within a few seconds ?
- 01:24 Lu: We disable TLS 1.0 and 1.1 on our windows servers; how to affect the SQL server and SSIS jobs?
- 05:19 Macrieum: Hi Brent, I am at the beginning of my sql career and trying to set up select query across 50+ sites/servers that all share a vpn/domain. 4+ hours of work/week saved if the query returns to a central location. Can you point me in a starting direction? Thank you
- 06:32 RoJo: What is best way to update/patch with least downtime? patching current box seems risky.
- 07:41 Don’tBotherAsking: Hey Brent. Love your work. We have a database in which all PII (names, birthdates, etc) is column-level encrypted. Query performance is getting worse over time–presumably because it has to decrypt more and more data. Is there any way to optimise queries on encrypted columns?
- 09:25 Kalfr: What are the best options for oopsy query recovery in SQL 2019 Enterprise AG shops?
- 11:28 pete: How important are non-equality columns in indexes after all they might follow 2-4+equality columns
- 12:42 Safraz: Hey Brent. From your weekly links, I discovered that EVE ONLINE used SQL Server 2005 at one point and they documented their issues with scaling hardware to improve performance. I’m not sure if this is still the case but have you ever consulted for them?
- 13:30 Piotr: What are the top causes for SQL log shipping breakages?
- 14:17 Robbaco: Could 2 Create Index statements in the same DB and same schema lock each other (no FK relations) because of inserts/updates/deletes on the sys-tables? could data for unrelated objects change in the sys-tables (something like a reorg)?
- 15:26 PhilRich: I have an automated process (weekly) that restores backups (Full/Diff/Logs) to a test server – runs DBCC – and then reports on all the databases. Is there any point in running DBCC on the production servers?
- 18:22 Dru: What’s the best monitoring software for vanilla PostgreSQL, Aurora PostgreSQL, and Azure PostgreSQL?
- 19:08 Mike: Sorry if this has been asked before, but – if you were to explain to your boss who does not understand who Database Administrator is – and what he does – how would you do it ?
- 20:35 Kevin: What’s your least favorite part of being a consultant? what advice would you give to someone who wants to follow your footsteps? Thanks
Regarding EVE Online – We posted an update on our SQL Server hardware last year: https://www.eveonline.com/news/view/a-history-of-eve-database-server-hardware
And while you may not have contracted directly with us, we have benefited greatly from not only the content you share for free, but also paid training/video courses.
Thanks for all you do Brent!
Awww, my pleasure! Glad I could help!
@Macrieum – We developed an SSIS package that logs into each SQL Server we have and pulls data into a Central Database