Y’all post questions at https://pollgab.com/room/brento and upvote the ones you’d like to see me discuss, and then I artfully dodge giving you answers. At least, that’s how it feels sometimes, hahaha:
Here’s what we discussed in today’s episode:
- 00:00 Start
- 00:20 Piotr: Do many of your clients disable SA account for security? What are your thoughts on this practice?
- 01:32 I was never given a name: What are your thoughts on using AI to generate SQL queries? OK for ad-hoc reporting, not for production? Specifically Ask Edith which is geared towards transforming English to SQL and ChatGPT.
- 02:55 chandwich: Hey Brent! What’s your “go to” note taking app? I know you use Markdown, but is that all you use to improve note taking?
- 03:24 Ólafur: What are some good ways to identify all NC indexes that could exceed the max key length of 1700 bytes in SQL 2019?
- 04:06 Namor: Should SQL affinity mask be used/configured when SSRS / SQL Server are running on the same server so that each process gets it’s own processor?
- 05:01 Sune Berg Hansen : Hey Brent, What features are no longer worth investing time in learning from a Admin or developer perspective? I have a coworker who still uses Server Side Tracing.
- 05:57 Gustav: If you had to give a razzie award for worst performing cloud storage for VM SQL, which cloud vendor would win the award?
- 06:57 Stockburn: Hi Brent, I assume you have needed to use a plan guide at some point in your career but at what point in a performance investigation do you decide this is the way to solve the problem? As always thank you for all you do for us SQL folk!
- 08:58 Sune Berg Hansen : Yo Brent, What are your top 3 favorite movies?
- 09:15 Lazze-SeniorAppDeveloper-JuniorDBA: Hi, We have a server with high cpu load ( 8 cores ) and high wait stats for parallelism(sql Enterprise 2019) + CPU Yield. MaxDOP 8, CTFP 50 – I’m thinking about decreasing MaxDop to 4 or maybe even 2, to leave more cores free to run other queries and help the wait stats?
- 10:30 Yitzhak: How do you determine the optimal autogrowth size for a given data file? One server is on expensive SAN storage while the other is on cheaper cloud storage.