Whenever I move to a new place and set up a new home studio, I give you a walkthrough so you can get a rough idea of how I work. I just finished setting up my new San Diego home base, and here’s a tour of what it looks like both as an attendee, and behind the scenes:
You can see more details about my hardware, software, and config in my past Home Office posts, but here’s a quick overview:
- Camera 1 (above monitor): Sony ZV-E10 with a 20mm F2.8 lens. Has a Rode VideoMic just in case my main microphone fails.
- Camera 2 (side): Sony A6100 – most of the same functionality as the newer ZV-E10 above, except the display swings up instead of to the side, and it charges via Micro USB instead of USB-C. Lens is a Sigma 16mm f/1.4.
- Video capture: Blackmagic Design HDMI PCIe card. When on the road and streaming from my laptop, I use a pair of Elgato Cam Link 4Ks instead.
- Microphone: DPA headset plugged into a Clarett 2Pre
- Lights: Elgato Key Light Air (2) and Neewer 480 LED lights (2) to light up green screen
- Controls: Elgato Stream Deck XL, Keychron K8 keyboard, Apple Magic Trackpad
- Monitors: ViewSonic 32″ 4K main, Lenovo ThinkVision M14 14″ USB-C to watch OBS output, generic 15″ USB-C mounted to side camera C-stand using a universal pole mount for Slack chat
- Tripods: Neewer 5-10′ adjustable C-stands
- Green screen: Glide Gear 8×8 backdrop. Not adjustable in any way, so either it fits in your space, or it doesn’t, full stop.
Wanna see how it looks? Join me for free classes next week!
What is the black and gold rectangular thing in the background?
It’s an Every Day Calendar by Simone Giertz.
Curious where you stash the chair when you are presenting?
I wheel it around behind my desk.
Fascinating setup . Very slick
it’s quite fascinating to see your studio evolve over time (especially was interesting to see how u adapted to being on the road during the past few months).
Which DPA headset exactly is it?
Thanks! Click on the link and you can see it there.
What model is that desk? I’ve been looking at standing desks for the home office.
It’s a NextDesk Terra Pro: https://ozar.me/2015/04/standing-desk-nextdesk-terra-pro-review/
Hey, Brent, great stuff! Wondering about the hardware you chose for your server(s), as I’m looking to upgrade my at-home hardware for a clustered instance. Thanks!
I use Amazon EC2 VMs. I run a Mac Pro as a desktop, and I can run VMs on there if I need to, but I tend to just use an EC2 VM because I can spin up monster ones if I need to demo, say, parallelism on a 64-core box.
Thanks. When you used to present with a boom mic you used to pull and push it did look strange…
YES! I miss the audio quality from that a lot, because that microphone was utterly fantastic, but I had to be RIGHT ON TOP OF IT. You see that a lot with professional radio DJs and podcasters – they sit RIGHT UP ON TOP of a big microphone, and they can’t move around. Presenting is so much more fun when I can move around.