Our free server troubleshooting tool, sp_Blitz®, just learned some new tricks. If you call it like this:
@OutputDatabaseName = ‘DBAtools’,
@OutputSchemaName = ‘dbo’,
@OutputTableName = ‘BlitzResults’
It will create the table DBAtools.dbo.BlitzResults (if it doesn’t already exist) and insert the results. The table includes columns for the server name and the check date, so you can query this table to see what’s changed since the last time you ran sp_Blitz®. Plus, there’s more:
Added new checks for disabled CPU schedulers (due to licensing or affinity masking), extended stored procedures, disabled remote access to the DAC, databases in unusual states like suspect or emergency, logins with CONTROL SERVER permission.
Easier readability – whenever anyone’s asked how to add checks, I’ve always just said, “Read the code.” Last week, I read the code with fresh eyes and realized it could use some cleanup and comments. I used Red Gate SQL Prompt to clean up the formatting, which is better but could still use some work. The code is nearing 4,000 lines, so I moved the old changes out of the proc and into a new online changelog. I put in some time to explain what the proc is doing, and that should help people reading it from the first time. I’ve also started an sp_Blitz® Documentation page where I’ll be explaining some of the more advanced uses.
If there’s something you’d like to see added or changed, leave a comment here or contact us. The whole point of this thing is to make your life easier. I wish this tool would have been available back when I was a production DBA struggling to figure out what was going on in my environment, so every little improvement helps. Hopefully this can save you from the stress I had back then. Get it from the download page and enjoy!