Post your Azure SQL DB and SQL Server questions at https://pollgab.com/room/brento and upvote the ones you’d like to see me discuss. In this episode, I’m overlooking Breiðamerkursandur, Diamond Beach, one of the most Instagrammed places in Iceland. Here’s a shot from a prior trip when I climbed up on one of the icebergs:
This time around, I’m staying dry so I can answer your tech questions:
Here’s what we covered:
- 00:00 Start
- 01:40 Ozan: Hi Brent, can you recommend a book or resources to learn more about the internals of SQL Server in depth (SQL OS, block allocations, write and read logic on memory and disk). Does aligned block allocation (8*8K=64K) on storage still matters on SSD? Thanks
- 03:57 JustWondering: Have vendor app that selects all fields of a 2TB table.Plan says it’s doing a CI seek.Table has a non seq GUID as the cluster key, includes an ntext field (XML data) + 5 other GUID fields.Qry runs 10000x each cycle. Where do I start to improve performance since I can’t tune it?
- 05:51 Balaji Ram: Is it possible to implement SQL FCI using Windows Storage Replication in AWS? I tried but couldn’t add gp3 disk to Cluster. Cannot find any useful documentation. Can use AWS-FSX but storage is very expensive – $4.5 for 1 MB/Sec per month. Any blog/book/documentation pls? Thanks!
- 06:45 Faysal Qureshi: Do agree with Chat GPT’s ranking of 10 worst database management systems? 10. Microsoft Access 9. FileMaker 8. Oracle 7. MongoDB 6. MySQL 5. SQLite 4. dBASE 3. Paradox 2. FoxPro 1. Lotus Approach
- 07:23 Henry Jones Jr.: Which is more popular : Office Hours Twitch Stream or Office Hours Youtube? Which has more fortune and glory?
- 07:54 Begrudgingly-Learning-MySQL :-(: I hate even asking this here, but your one of the best authorities in the database space in my opinion. Do you have any recommended courses/classes that can help someone, begrudgingly transitioning from SQL Server to MySQL, write and tune queries?
- 08:39 SQL_Stormlight: What approach do recommend to troubleshoot this error when you have 1000s of dbs and no idea which query is causing the issue: “The query processor ran out of internal resources and could not produce a query plan.” This alert has been raised 100s of times over the last week.
- 09:35 GermanDBA: Hi Brent, What are some things to consider when weighing Transactional Replication vs ETL tools for keeping a copy of various table columns up to date on a secondary server?
- 10:32 Mr. SqlSeeks: I have been tasked to determine how our back-end processes perform with 2x and 3x data volume. Do you have any suggestions as to the most efficient way to essentially copy/paste from one instance to another for the purpose of doubling the data volume?
- 12:20 YY: Hi Brent, For a typical OLTP application, What is your recommendation on: How many filegroups? How may files per filegoup? What table types in each filegoup?
- 14:41 Red U: What are the top issues your clients run into when lifting and shifting SQL server to Azure SQL VM?
- 15:30 PrayEveryMorningToSQLGod: With a database that as a table of files (aka images) that is ~80% of it’s size (around 1.6TB). Do you recomend moving it to FILESTREAM ( tech looks dead ) or just leave it alone and pray to SQL Gods? Trying to improve: Backup Performance and Performance on getting the imagens
- 16:23 LostInSpace: How can I determine when to use Optimize for Ad hoc workloads?