Hi, Brent here! I’m really excited to welcome you to the class.
Read this whole page: there’s a lot of stuff in here for you.
Watch How to Think Like the Engine and Fundamentals of Index Tuning.
Before we get started, I need to make sure that we’ve covered the basics:
- How to Think Like the Engine – free 90-minute class that covers the foundations of clustered and nonclustered indexes, statistics, memory grants, and sargability.
- Fundamentals of Index Tuning – one-day class that covers how to index for WHERE, ORDER BY, and JOINs, and covers how to pick the field order for indexes.
- Optional: How I Use the First Responder Kit – students who haven’t used sp_BlitzIndex and sp_BlitzCache before will find this helpful, but it’s not required.
Armed with the material in those two classes, you’ll be well-equipped to keep up in the Mastering class.
Now, get your computer ready for the webcast.
To ask questions and talk to the other attendees, go to https://www.brentozar.com/slack/ to get an instant invite, then join the #BrentOzarUnlimited channel. This way attendees can help each other with their questions during the live labs.
Audio will come through your computer speakers, so you’ll want clear speakers or a set of headphones. (You don’t have to worry about a microphone or webcam – other attendees won’t see or hear you.)
Want to run the demos on your own machine?
If you didn’t buy a lab VM, or if you want to run the demos after the class finishes, read the scripts and databases setup.
- 0.2 Download the Slides and Scripts
- 1.2 The D.E.A.T.H. Method: Dedupe and Eliminate
- 1.3 Why Index Read & Write Numbers Are Wrong
- 1.4 Lab 1 Setup: Dedupe and Eliminate
- 1.4b Lab 1: Dedupe and Eliminate – Brent Does It
- 1.5 The D.E.A.T.H. Method: Tuning Indexes for Specific Queries
- 1.6 Lab 2 Setup: Tuning Indexes for Specific Queries
- 1.7 Lab 2: Tuning Indexes for Specific Queries – Brent Does It
- 2.1 Adding Indexes with the DMVs
- 2.2 Tuning to Avoid Key Lookups and Residual Predicates
- 2.3 Lab 3 Setup: Adding Indexes with Clippy and the DMVs
- 2.3b Lab 3: Adding Indexes with Clippy and the DMVs – Brent Does It
- 2.4 Tuning Indexes to Avoid Blocking
- 2.5 Lab 4 Setup: Solving Blocking with Indexes
- 2.6 Lab 4: Solving Blocking with Indexes – Brent Does It
- 3.1 The D.E.A.T.H. Method – Heaps and Clustered Indexes
- 3.2 Filtered Indexes, Indexed Views, and Computed Columns
- 3.3 Lab 5 Setup: Leveraging Artisanal Indexes
- 3.3b Lab 5: Leveraging Artisanal Indexes – Brent Does It
- 3.4 Foreign Key and Check Constraints
- 3.5 Tips from the Index Sommelier
- 3.6 Lab 6 Setup and Final Lessons
- 3.7 Lab 6: Doing the D.E.A.
- 3.8 Lab 6: Tuning Indexes for Specific Queries
- About the Lab Exercises
- Bonus: Storytelling Time