About the Lab Exercises
In my Mastering training class series, we start with the Stack Overflow database and layer in a series of real-life-style workloads to mimic a busy web site.
The demo scripts are available to subscribed students in their Instant Replay recording pages – just click on the sessions for each class, and you can grab the lab scripts from there.
For questions about a particular lab, just leave a comment on that session’s page.
Not a student? Check out our Live Class Season Pass to join in the fun.
- 0.1 Prerequisites Before the Class (~4 hours)
- 0.2 Download the Slides
- 1.2 The D.E.A.T.H. Method: Dedupe and Eliminate
- 1.3 Why Index Read & Write Numbers Are Wrong
- 1.4 Lab 1 Setup: Dedupe and Eliminate
- 1.4b Lab 1: Dedupe and Eliminate – Brent Does It
- 1.5 The D.E.A.T.H. Method: Tuning Indexes for Specific Queries
- 1.6 Foreign Key and Check Constraints
- 1.7 Lab 2 Setup: Tuning Indexes for Specific Queries
- 1.8 Lab 2: Tuning Indexes for Specific Queries – Brent Does It
- 2.1 Adding Indexes with the DMVs
- 2.2 Tuning to Avoid Key Lookups and Residual Predicates
- 2.3 Lab 3 Setup: Adding Indexes with Clippy and the DMVs
- 2.3b Lab 3: Adding Indexes with Clippy and the DMVs – Brent Does It
- 2.4 The D.E.A.T.H. Method – Heaps and Clustered Indexes
- 2.5 Tuning Indexes to Avoid Blocking
- 2.6 Lab 4 Setup: Solving Blocking with Indexes
- 2.6 Lab 4: Solving Blocking with Indexes – Brent Does It
- 3.1 Filtered Indexes, Indexed Views, and Computed Columns
- 3.2 Lab 5 Setup: Leveraging Artisanal Indexes
- 3.2b Lab 5: Leveraging Artisanal Indexes – Brent Does It
- 3.3 Lab 6 Setup and Final Lessons
- 3.4 Lab 6: Doing the D.E.A.
- 3.5 Lab 6: Doing the D.E.A.T.
- Bonus: Storytelling Time
- Bonus: Tips from the Index Sommelier