Backups 4: Setting Up Ola Hallengren’s Maintenance Scripts
If you’re a full time database administrator, then rather than using maintenance plans, you should upgrade to Ola Hallengren’s maintenance scripts. They’re free, open source, and are used all over the world to do powerful, configurable maintenance tasks. For support and feature requests, head to Ola’s Github repository.
8 Comments. Leave new
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- Backups 1: 3 Common Strategies
- Backups 2: Restores
- Backups 3: Setting Up Maintenance Plans
- Backups: Reading from Databases During Restores
- Configuration: Anti-Virus
- Configuration: Instant File Initialization
- Configuration: Lock Pages in Memory (LPIM)
- Configuration: Prepare for Emergencies with the Remote DAC
- Configuration: Sending Emails with Database Mail
- Configuration: sp_configure Settings
- Configuration: TempDB Files and Sizes
- Corruption 1: How it Happens, and How to Detect It
- Corruption 2: DBCC CHECKDB for VLDBs
- Maintenance: Agent Jobs
- Maintenance: Patches: Which Ones to Apply, When, and How
- Maintenance: Shrinking Files
Can you re-record this with a better mic? It’s rather hard on the ears.
Sure! I’ll put this on my backlog to re-record. I’ve been kinda holding off, keeping an eye on the number of issues on Ola’s Github repository – he hasn’t been active in the last year, and I’m waiting to see if he picks back up again. If he doesn’t, I’m starting to think I won’t recommend those scripts, so waiting as long as I can. Thanks though!
What are you thinking as a replacement? Currently working on implementing them…
He’s come back online and become much more active, so I would recommend sticking with ’em.
For IndexOptimize, @PageCountLevel is no longer an option with Ola’s scripts.
I 2nd the request to re-record.
I will not be re-recording this free material. I hope you enjoy it, and if you find something of better quality, by all means, feel free to leave a comment with a link to it. Have a great weekend!