It was a dark and stormy morning, on the last day of my Panama Canal cruise. Before I perished, I sat down to answer your top-voted questions from https://pollgab.com/room/brento.
Here’s what we covered:
- 00:00 Start
- 00:36 ClippyTheDBA: Hi Brent. How you keep up-to-date with technology in general and in SQL Server specifically?
- 02:56 Björk: Should foreign keys be indexed from day1 or only when performance issues arise from lack of a NC index on the foreign key?
- 03:55 ClippyTheDBA: Hola Brent. If you just started your consulting business, what thing(s) you would change or do differently (based on your current consulting business experience)? [Kind of Lessons Learned]
- 06:00 Haydar: What bad stuff can we look forward to once SQL Server hits the max size for a data file? Any interesting stories of this happening in the wild?
- 06:52 Eduardo: How do I find the worst performing query for a given app using the first responder kit?
- 08:51 Netanel: Is it safe to overlap invocations of the tools in the first responder kit (i.e run sp_blitzindex at the same time of running sp_blitzcache, sp_blitzfirst etc)?
- 09:48 Alex: Hi guru, Regarding your last office hours where you talked about 2022 version. I was planing to upgrade from 16 to 22, now you got me thinking. Should I upgrade to 19 instead as 22 is full of bugs?
- 10:56 Gopher: What criteria do you use when picking cruise ship line A vs B?
- 13:09 AGAnyday: I am in a shop with backup policies dictating full backups daily, Colleague DBAs say there was a research policy informing that course of action. What is the best gentle approach to convince the management to resort to full backups for weekends then do differentials every night?