SQL Interview Questions
Interviewing and hiring database administrators is tough for managers. It’s hard to understand what a DBA does, let alone whether or not the DBA is good at it. This is especially difficult in shops with just one DBA, and that DBA is now gone – or when you’re hiring your first DBA. Here’s your help:
Developer, Sysadmin, and SQL Interview Questions
- Top 10 Questions to Ask a Senior SQL Server DBA – if you’re hiring a database administrator, here’s ten questions to ask along with the types of answers you should expect to hear.
- Top 10 Developer Interview Questions About SQL Server – the best questions to ask in an interview of a developer who will be storing data in SQL Server. Whether you’re hiring a C#, VB, or Java developer, they all need to know the basics.
- Windows System Administrator Interview Questions – how to find the right candidates to manage backups, network infrastructures, and desktop support.
Good Tips for Interviewing Database Administrators
- How to Hire Top Talent – First of all, you’re not the only one looking. But guess what? You’re probably looking for the wrong person, and you’re almost certainly asking the wrong questions.
- The Myth of the Perfectly Qualified Candidate – companies look for someone with exactly the right amount of experience – but what kind of employee has it? I explain.
- (SQL Server) Size Matters – how to determine if a DBA’s experience is right for your company.
- Tips for Hiring a DBA – my thoughts after going through the interview process at a few companies.
- Show Candidates Their Work Areas – and watch their reactions. It’ll help you gauge if they’re a good fit for you, plus give you insight about your environment.
Interview Tips for Candidates
- Top Ten Questions to Ask at Your Own Job Interview – avoid taking a crappy job that you’ll regret later!
- How to Get a Telecommuting Job – I’ve been telecommuting off and on since 2000, and I’ve accumulated a set of tips on how to get a remote DBA job.
- Being the Porsche of Job Candidates – you can get a decent job by being a decent candidate, but to get the best jobs, you have to be the best candidate. That means having an online presence.
- Ask for a List of Servers – DBA candidates need to ask as many questions as they answer during the interview.