Post your questions at https://pollgab.com/room/brento and upvote the ones you’d like to see me discuss during my live streams. This week, I took a break from working on my PASS Summit sessions in order to chat:
Here’s what we covered:
- 00:00 Start
- 00:32 Jeremy: We have an older web app we’re going to be rewriting to use microservices. We’ll also be migrating it from on-prem to Azure. Our dev consultant is recommending we use Postgres rather than MS SQL Server to save money. What are your thoughts on moving from MS SQL to Postgres?
- 02:19 Peter: Have you ever deleted unused stats or think it might be worth deleting stats on a table to improve performance of a stats maintenance job? My pain point is an exceptionally long running stats update.
- 03:27 Jacob H: Hi Brent, how do you approach tuning when you are not able to run a query in production?
- 04:30 Kimberly Hathaway: Brent – battling sysadmins in my org. They want Veeam backups for all SQL svrs & not SQL backups. Claim is point in time DB recovery with Veeam. I say logs are not getting truncated so Veeam is not talking to SQL. Can you point me to a doc that will support this.
- 06:19 Cats_Everywhere : Hey Brent, I’m planning a new SQL Server build. I expect the Business people want this server to exist for 8-10 years. Are there any good arguments (business people would love) to persuade them to stick to a 5 year max? I picked 5 years due to Patching support from MS.
- 07:39 Ólafur: Any indexing tips for “SELECT DISTINCT F1, F2, F3”? Is this more / less important than indexing for the WHERE condition?
- 08:17 Bingo Boy: What are the pros / cons of setting up a SQL Server learning environment for log shipping / A.G. using containers vs virtual machines?