Normally, after I do a round of Office Hours of going through the questions that got posted at https://pollgab.com/room/brento, I answer the highly upvoted ones and then clear the queue. If y’all didn’t upvote questions, then I don’t answer ’em.
However, today I’m trying something different: I’ll post the non-upvoted questions here for y’all to see if there’s something you want to answer in the comments. I’ll number ’em so y’all can refer to ’em easier in the comments.
- GI Joe DBA: Thoughts on contract to hire jobs? I don’t like them, I want to be hired FT immediately. I think agencies use them to squeeze $$ from the placement but, there’s no guarantee I will be hired and it’s a hassle switching benefits. I’ll only consider it if pay is higher than average.
- lockDown: Hi brent, we work on a multitenancy model sql DB and we need to split the data to 2 Dbs, since there multiple apps writing to the DB & the Devs are asking for a schema lock on the (2k) schemas that will be moved. I feel like stoping writes should be done on the App am i right?
- Jarkko: Should there be any concerns when a query runs in 2 seconds but consumes 16 seconds worth of CPU time (SQL 2019 Enterprise, 64 cores)?
- RonS: Hello Brent, Moving to 2019 SS Standard/HA. 7 databases that need to talk with each other. Standard edition requires each DB to have its own IP address. Current environment all the DB’s live in one server and can see each other (db.schema.table). Linked servers right direction?
- CPL: Hi Brent .. What is the process that actually updates indexes? e.g. table with 3 NC indexes & all three indexes contain Col1. If one of these indexes is used where we then update Col1 how are the other 2 indexes subsequently updated? Is it still via the transaction log?
- Wenenu: What are the top SQL index naming schemes you see in the field? How did the various schemes originate?
- Anatoli: CONTAINSTABLE and FREETEXTTABLE seem to hide the logical reads when statistics io is enabled. Is there an alternate way to see the logical reads incurred by these TVF’s? Using SQL 2019 – 2014 compat mode
- Sebastian: How would you change SQL Sentry Plan Explorer to make it more usable / friendly?
- DBA_preparing_for_jobsearch: Could you suggest a good strategy on improving left anti semi joins?
- Least Significant Who In Whoville: Hola mi amigo. I am the sole DBA at a recently acquired adult beverage manufacturer and our new controlling company. Do you have any suggestion on how to break the news that their adhoc architecture is one mistake away from disaster when their shadetree DBAs know more than me?
- Itching to Emigrate: Is it true that Americans in Europe working remotely for American companies fall under GDPR? Can you point us to resources for this question? Everything I see only looks at the consumer side of GDPR.
- reps_for_bulk_deletes: For “Full” recovery model, how much bigger than a row of data is the log entries associated with the deletion of that record? Trying to come up with a heuristic for when to approach alternate deletion methods by looking at remaining space in log and on log disk.
- BlitzFan: Hi Brent, At our shop we make all kind of backups, SQL backups, Avamar backups of SQL backup shares and of entire databaseservers. But we never test those Avamar backups, so no disaster recovery tests and no disaster recovery plan. What would you say to management?