I hopped down to Cabo San Lucas and sat at the End of the World to answer the questions you posted & upvoted at https://pollgab.com/room/brento.
Here’s what we covered:
- 00:00 Intros
- 00:44 Kirk Saunders: Hey Brent! When did you determine your knowledge/skillset/etc.. was sufficient to teach your various classes? I think I’m doing well at my job, but I’m concerned I’m overestimating my skillset (big fish, small pond). Any insight on a more objective measure is greatly appreciated!
- 02:42 Monkey: Howdy, Brent! When I specify RETAINDAYS or EXPIREDATE when doing backups and set either to 30 days, does it mean after 30 days some job checks whether my backup expired, and deletes it ? if no, how can I make so older than 30 days backups be deleted automatically ?
- 03:31 Yakov: What was office hours like prior to the introduction of PollGab?
- 04:54 Rizzo: How should you deal with a SQL power user that forgets to commit their transaction on a busy server before leaving for the day?
- 06:43 Gary Kendall: Hey Brent! We have a commercial app that creates many many temp tables (not in TempDB) for ad-hoc reporting and other things but doesn’t clean up after itself. Is there a tipping point where too many tables in one DB might cause overall performance problems with SQL Server? Thx!
- 09:30 Select_Star_not_Asterisk: What’s your though about Contained Availability Group? For me, the new features, contained master and MSDB is a big check for me.
- 11:16 Uncle Kenny G: We have 1000 databases on Azure SQL Server. We are going to adopt some third party monitoring software (Red-Gate, SolarWinds, checkmk, etc…). Does using these monitoring software will put pressure on the DBs and increase the overall costs at the end of the month?
- 12:05 SQL Helper: In the consulting world, how do you handle an engagement that you cannot solve or is technically not possible as outlined in the SOW? Do you get compensated for your time working on the issue?
- 16:34 Haddaway: What is the best tool for monitoring Always On replication progress? Do we need third party monitoring for good Always On Monitoring?
- 17:24 Eduardo: What are the keys to becoming a good public speaker?