Post your Microsoft data platform questions at https://pollgab.com/room/brento and upvote the ones you’d like to see me answer. I sat down by the pool in Cabo with a cup of coffee to go through ’em:
Here’s what we covered in this episode:
- 00:00 Introductions
- 00:43 MergeItLikeItsHot: Hi Brent, do you have any good resources to look at when planning DR procedure for sql server and for Azure sql database specifically?
- 01:46 Neil: whats your approach to automating restores from prod to test ? how do you select the last backup ? currently i set up a linked server to query msdb on the prod server and find latest backup history. but i want to get rid of all linked servers. is there a better way ?
- 04:00 Donovan: Is SQL lock pages in memory a best practice or edge case for modern SQL Server and Windows OS? If edge case, when should it be used?
- 06:06 Trushit: Were you always fluent and comfortable speaking in front of a camera? Any tips for someone who feels awkward ? Even when I listen to the recording of own voice, it sounds so different, in a bad way, than what I hear when I am speaking to someone else.
- 08:20 CJ Morgan: Have you ever worked w/Bidirectional replication? I ask because we have a client that wants an updateable copy of their database up in Azure and aside from a VM running SQL in Azure, the only replication we see as being supported for and updateable “subscriber” is Bidirectional.
- 10:00 Eduardo: Do you keep any interesting stats on the questions that are asked each episode (e.g. percent of questions that are new each episode, percent of questions for topic ABC, etc)?
- 10:20 ILoveData: Hello Brent, just curious what the ad revenue on your small YouTube channel looks like. Is that something you would be willing to share?
- 11:15 Haydar: Does high VLF count / large transaction log file size affect log shipping performance?
- 13:13 Seshat: What are the pros / cons of using native SQL backup with multi terabyte DB’s (11+ terabytes)?