On a road trip from San Diego to Vegas, I stopped in Palm Springs and answered your highly-upvoted questions from https://pollgab.com/room/brento.
Here’s what we covered:
- 00:00 Introductions
- 00:45 i_use_lowercase_for_select: Hi Brent, just wanted to give you my support on your May 24th blog.
- 01:19 SQL Crooner: Who would win a SQL trivia contest between Brent Ozar, Pinal Dave, Paul Randal, and Erik Darling?
- 03:13 Brandon F: Does SQL 2022 have any “killer” performance features that make it a must have upgrade from SQL 2019?
- 05:40 YouGottaDoWhatYouGottaDo: Hi Brent, do you know (or do you have any idea) if MS use telemetry to do statistics on what SQL Server features are the most/less used and appreciated by users, in order to model or deprecate features in new versions?
- 06:49 Too Much Spare Time: How much time if any did you/do you spend running sp_helptext on system procs/views/functions, etc (or is it just me that likes to nose about in these…?) and wondering about the souls who wrote it all? Most interesting thing you’ve seen in a system object?
- 08:11 Jacob H: Hi Brent, you mentioned previously that you recommend turning off adaptive memory grants and scalar function in-lining in SQL Server 2019. Can you elaborate more on the problems you have found with those features?
- 09:29 Have you tried turning it off and on: We want to implement RCSI on a (10k batches/sec / 4.5TB / 7K session) server to help reduce blocking. I understand the additional tempdb requirements, however what QA do you suggest to make sure the output to queries wont be affected? Any books/videos to consult?
- 11:34 Keller: I have a query with inner join and 2 more columns in the WHERE clause.Join columns are not primary key.What is the best way to create index on both tables.
- 12:53 Edward Anil Joseph: The auto-numbering for identity column got inserted late. The next number was inserted before the actual number should be inserted. Example: 1 was inserted at 2022-05-31 00:00:01.009 and 2 was inserted at 2022-05-31 00:00:01.001 How is this possible? Something to do with disk?
- 15:30 Preben: In your training classes do you touch the subject of using apply instead of joining to force a specific query plan? If yes, what training.
- 18:53 Wrap-up and discussing my Porsche 944 Turbo