I’m back in San Diego, so let’s sit out on the balcony, enjoy a tasty beverage, and go through your top-voted questions from PollGab.com/room/brento.
Here’s what we covered:
- 00:00 Carl: Hi Brent, what is your opinion of the graph db support starting in SQL2017? Is this another doomed SQL feature?
- 02:06 Bob: Brent, sometimes when we run sp_BlitzCache for a given sp, the top resultset shows that we couldn’t find a plan for this query but the bottom resultset shows prioritized findings such as Functions, blocking, etc. Can the bottom resultset findings still be relied upon?
- 03:00 juggler314: My friend has some old tables with no great candidates for a clustered index which are currently heaps. Is it better to use something like a timestamp which may not be unique (but already exists and is used), or just add an auto-increment internal field to be the key?
- 04:52 Jim: Hi Brent, do you have any recommended one stop tools/scripts that capture server configuration (db files, db settings, memory configuration, os version, sql version, etc) for DR purposes? Love your office hours.
- 07:28 Ken: Hi Brent, is there a good way to handle multi db backup/restores when the transactions span multiple db’s?
- 09:48 Drowning in SQL Pool: Hi Brent, when it comes to upgrading compatibility levels on databases after you have left an upgrade stew for a few weeks, Should you upgrade system databases? and if so should you do these first, wait a week and then do user databases? Or tackle these all at the same time?
- 10:35 Chris: Hi Brent, what are the pros/cons of using NUMA based servers for bare metal SQL?
- 12:25 Todd LeBod: Hi Brent, do you know of anyone (successfully) using Stretch Database, and is Microsoft still pushing this (making enhancements, bug fixes, etc)?
- 14:11 Wrap-up, discussing Cabo and San Diego