You posted and upvoted questions at https://pollgab.com/room/brento, and I ascended – well, drove into – the Eldfell Volcano in the Westman Islands to answer ’em:
Questions we covered in the video:
- 00:00 Introductions
- 01:55 Do you notice big improvements for physical servers over virtual servers?
- 05:14 Why aren’t my SQL Servers using all of the available RAM?
- 07:16 Do you recommend periodic SQL Server restarts?
- 09:36 How many times have you encountered a SQL Server in perfect shape that needs no work?
- 11:55 Should I use Extended Events or Profiler? I find the XE interface dreadful.
- 14:11 Why do so many people keep trying to ask questions in YouTube chat rather than PollGab?
- 15:30 Is there a way to influence which keys SQL Server uses as the range high key in statistics?
- 17:56 Why does a hash match join spill to TempDB when the estimates are accurate and the used memory is lower than granted?
- 20:20 What SQL Server feature do you miss the most when working in Postgres?
- 20:32 What Posgres feature would you love to see in SQL Server?
- 22:30 My query execution plan takes 3-5 minutes, but transferring millions of rows to SSMS on my laptop takes more time. How do I make it go faster?
- 24:09 When I’m using log shipping, can I still do separate full and log backups?
- 25:05 Can an index with the same name as a column cause problems?
- 25:21 Should I use backup devices rather than files?
- 26:24 Do you have kids?
- 27:17 How do I deal with a manager who insists on choosing technologies that IT should use?
- 30:55 How much training time should I let my direct reports do?
- 32:24 How should we pass client information to SQL for the session?
- 33:40 Have you ever told someone to turn on trace flag 4199?
- 35:00 Recap
“How many SQL Server instances do you wish could be thrown into that volcano?” 😀
Thank you for the content, it is always useful and interesting.
I found some use for backup devices: when I have to move the destination of the backups it is easier to run a single command to change the physical path of the backup device instead of changing the code in the job. Other than convenience, I see no other reason.