Whether you’re already a database professional or would like to become one, you’ve probably thought about getting certified in SQL Server. Do you need to be certified? What certifications are available and which should you take first? How should you prepare for the exams? Kendra Little is a Microsoft Certified Master in SQL Server. She’ll explain what certifications are available, what the advantages are of becoming certified, and give practical tips for making the most of your exams.
Want to see the links from the video? Scroll on down– the links are at the bottom of the post.
Trying to Get Your First DBA Job?
If that’s your goal, we don’t think certifications are the best way to get you there. We’ve created a new, free ebook where we share some of our best writing on:
- Why it’s so hard to find a Junior DBA job
- How to get your foot into the door of database administration
- How to handle DBA job interviews
- How to get training on the job
- What to do when you’ve lost that lovin’ feeling with your DBA job
- How to get promoted
It’s all packaged up in a portable, easy to read format. Get our free eBook — “How to Develop Your DBA Career”.
Need to Practice for a SQL Server DBA Interview?
We’ve got training! For $29 you get 18 months of access to videos helping you prepare and practice for interviews with 100 practice DBA interview questions on on your desktop, laptop, iPad, or iPhone. Learn more or buy it now.
SQL Server Certifications: Helpful Links
Certification Exams for Microsoft SQL Server 2008
|Database Administrator||Exam 70-432||Exam 70-450||Exam 88-970
|MCA Board Exam|
|Database Developer||Exam 70-433||Exam 70-451|
|Business Intelligence Developer||Exam 70-448||Exam 70-452||N/A||N/A|
Studying for SQL Server Certifications
- Check out the SSAS Maestro Program
- Sample Community Exam Prep Guide by John Samson
- Books for SQL Server DBAS by Brent Ozar
- SQL MCM Study Group
Tools to Build Your Own SQL Server Lab
- Microsoft DreamSpark program for students and educators
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Trial
- How to extend the Windows Server 2008 Evaluation Period
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition
Low Cost (or Free!) Virtualization Products
- VirtualBox (free): https://www.virtualbox.org/
- Parallels (Mac): http://www.parallels.com/
- VMware Fusion (Mac): http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html
Using Amazon’s EC2 as Your SQL Server Lab
- Lynn Langit gives a five minute video on how to use SQL Server for testing and learning in EC2