Before this class, watch the free How to Think Like the SQL Server Engine class. Optionally, you’ll get the best experience out of the “What uses TempDB” modules if you’ve already completed my Fundamentals of Query Tuning and Fundamentals of Parameter Sniffing classes because we’re going to be looking at execution plans – particularly, confusing plans where row estimates have been reused from someone else’s session.
Have a local SQL Server 2016 or newer. Your server’s power doesn’t really matter – you can run this class’s labs on your local desktop just fine as long as you’ve got enough space for the database. I will show you the differences in SQL Server 2019, but if you’re not using 2019 yet, no worries – you can just watch those portions of the demos.
Download any Stack Overflow database. In the class, I’ll be using the 50GB StackOverflow2013 version, but any version/size will work.Download the Slides – this option is only available to logged-in folks who purchased the course or one of my Black Friday bundles.
- 1 – How the Version Store Affects TempDB
- 2 – How Temp Tables Affect TempDB
- 3 – How Table Variables Affect TempDB
- 4 – Temp Tables and Table Variables at Scale: PFS/GAM/SGAM Contention
- 5 – Memory-Optimized Table Variables
- 6 – How Execution Plans Use TempDB
- 7 – Other TempDB Consumers: Cursors, Index Builds, AG Stats
- 8 – How to Provision TempDB on a New Server
- 9 – How to Monitor TempDB