You’re confident writing queries to get the data you want, and you’ve been doing it for a couple of years. You took an intro course when you first got started, and sure, you learned select/from/where/group-by – but how do you make your queries go faster?
In this one-day course, you’ll learn:
- How sp_BlitzCache shows you which queries to focus on, and what parameters to use with sp_BlitzCache to guarantee the best bang for the buck on your own SQL Server
- How to read an execution plan to find the problems in a query
- What parts of estimated, cached, and actual plans are lying to you
- How to identify common anti-patterns in queries and plans, and fix ’em fast
- Before this class, watch the free How to Think Like the SQL Server Engine class. Optional: watch Fundamentals of Index Tuning, because this class assumes you already know how to design an index for filtering, sorting, and joining.
- If you want to test yourself with the exercises during class, get SQL Server 2008 or newer, and download the Stack Overflow 2010 or 2013 database (10-50GB) The small one will work fine, but I’ll be using the 50GB one, so if you want your numbers & demos to *exactly* match what I’m doing, get the 50GB one.
- After this class, you’re ready for Mastering Query Tuning.
This is an online class – I (Brent) host it in GoToWebinar, live with me on webcam, taking questions as we go through the material together. Audio can come through either your computer audio, or by dialing into a US phone number – headset recommended either way. For more information, check out the Training Logistics PDF for our online classes.
You can watch again later with Instant Replay – for one year after your live class, you can start watching the recordings, and keep watching for a year. (Right now, before the first delivery of the class in July 2019, you can jump into a series of videos from Erik Darling.) Brush up on stuff you missed or revisit your favorite topics. It’s the best of both worlds: live training with me, plus reminders. (Or, you can just buy the Instant Replay access – save money, and start watching your recordings immediately, streaming them in your browser for a year.)
Class dates & times:
- July 1, 2019 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)