You’re confident writing queries to get the data you want, and you’ve been doing it for a couple of years. You took an intro course when you first got started, and sure, you learned select/from/where/group-by – but how do you make your queries go faster?
In this one-day course, you’ll learn:
- How sp_BlitzCache shows you which queries to focus on, and what parameters to use with sp_BlitzCache to guarantee the best bang for the buck on your own SQL Server
- How to read an execution plan to find the problems in a query
- What parts of estimated, cached, and actual plans are lying to you
- How to identify common anti-patterns in queries and plans, and fix ’em fast
This course is 100% demos: the only slides are the introductions at the start of the day, and the recap at the end of the day. The rest of the time, we’ll be working in SQL Server Management Studio. Roll up your sleeves and join me!
- Before this class, watch the free How to Think Like the SQL Server Engine class. Optional: watch Fundamentals of Index Tuning, because this class assumes you already know how to design an index for filtering, sorting, and joining.
- If you want to test yourself with the exercises during class, get SQL Server 2008 or newer, and download the Stack Overflow 2010 or 2013 database (10-50GB) The small one will work fine, but I’ll be using the 50GB one, so if you want your numbers & demos to *exactly* match what I’m doing, get the 50GB one.
- After this class, you’re ready for Mastering Query Tuning.
This is an online class – I (Brent) host it in GoToWebinar, live with me on webcam, taking questions as we go through the material together. Audio can come through either your computer audio, or by dialing into a US phone number – headset recommended either way. For more information, check out the Training Logistics PDF for our online classes.
You can watch again later with Instant Replay – for one year after your live class, you can start watching the recordings, and keep watching for a year. Brush up on stuff you missed or revisit your favorite topics. It’s the best of both worlds: live training with me, plus reminders. (Or, you can just buy the Instant Replay access – save money, and start watching your recordings immediately, streaming them in your browser for a year.)
Class dates & times:
- December 4, 2019 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)
- April 9, 2020 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)
- June 17, 2020 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)