You’re comfortable writing T-SQL queries, and now you want to make ’em faster – without changing the queries themselves.
In this one-day course, you’ll learn:
- How to design indexes for a query without looking at its execution plan
- How to pick the order of keys in an index
- How query parameter values can change which index is better
- Where to find index recommendations using query plans, DMVs, and sp_BlitzIndex
- How SQL Server’s index recommendations are built, and why they’re often wrong
Note: this course does not cover columnstore, In-Memory OLTP, XML, or spatial indexes. (Nothing against those – they’re just beyond fundamentals.)
- Before this class, watch the free How to Think Like the SQL Server Engine class
- If you want to test yourself with the exercises during class, get SQL Server 2008 or newer, and download the Stack Overflow 2010 database (small, 10GB)
- After this class, you’re ready for Mastering Index Tuning or Fundamentals of Query Tuning.
This is an online class – I (Brent) host it in GoToWebinar, live with me on webcam, taking questions as we go through the material together. Audio can come through either your computer audio, or by dialing into a US phone number – headset recommended either way. For more information, check out the Training Logistics PDF for our online classes.
You can watch again later with Instant Replay – as soon as you buy the class, you can start watching the recordings, and keep watching for a year. Brush up on stuff you missed or revisit your favorite topics. It’s the best of both worlds: live training with me, plus reminders. (Or, you can just buy the Instant Replay access – save money, and start watching your recordings immediately, streaming them in your browser for a year.)
Class dates & times:
- June 3, 2019 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)