You’re comfortable writing T-SQL queries, and now you want to make ’em faster – without changing the queries themselves.
In this one-day course, you’ll learn:
- How to design indexes for a query without looking at its execution plan
- How to pick the order of keys in an index
- How query parameter values can change which index is better
- Where to find index recommendations using query plans, DMVs, and sp_BlitzIndex
- How SQL Server’s index recommendations are built, and why they’re often wrong
Note: this course does not cover columnstore, In-Memory OLTP, XML, or spatial indexes. (Nothing against those – they’re just beyond fundamentals.)
- Before this class, watch the free How to Think Like the SQL Server Engine class.
- Have a local SQL Server 2016 or newer. Your server’s power doesn’t really matter – you can run this class’s labs on your local desktop just fine as long as you’ve got enough space for the database.
- Download the Stack Overflow 2013 database (medium, 50GB).
- After this class, you’re ready for Mastering Index Tuning or Fundamentals of Query Tuning.
This is a live online class – but you have two buying choices:
- Instant Replay Recordings Only – you can start streaming the Instant Replay recordings as soon as you buy. You don’t have to wait for a live class – you can start learning immediately using the recording from the most recent class. You can watch for a year straight.
- Live Class + Instant Replay – not only do you get instant access to the most recent recordings, but you can also attend all of the live deliveries of this class for 12 months after you buy your ticket. Read the live class logistics page. Here are the upcoming dates scheduled so far:
- May 11, 2021 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (click to see in your own time zone) – iCal