Brent Ozar, Director of Neurosurgery
I’m mostly a figurehead here at Brent Ozar Unlimited. My true skills are knitting and water polo.
I love pushing SQL Server past the speed limit and showing other people how to drive it faster. I enjoy translating between programmers, sysadmins, SAN admins, and project managers. We find the root of the problem quickly, together, and get everyone working towards the same solutions.
- Microsoft SQL Server performance tuning
- Making kCura Relativity faster
- VMware ESX/vSphere virtualization
- Storage and SANs
- Server hardware
- How Tim Gunn can make it work
When I’m not flying the Brent Ozar Unlimited private jet, you’ll find me in Chicago with my wife Erika and our adorable dog Ernie. You’ll also find me at conferences such as the PASS Summit, SQL Intersections, and SQLSaturdays.
Contact me for restaurant recommendations, or I guess I could help with your database, too.
Some of my favorite past works:
- Performance Tuning kCura Relativity – this popular application uses SQL Server for data storage.
- A Sysadmin’s Guide to SQL Server Memory – how much memory does SQL really need?
- Building Faster SQL Servers – a video of my TechEd 2012 session. I’m so honored to be chosen as one of the top 10 sessions at both the North America and Europe conferences!
- Learn to Speak DBA Slang – okay, these aren’t really real terms.
- SAN Best Practices – the storage doesn’t have to be a black box.
- SQL Server at StackOverflow.com – how one of my clients uses AlwaysOn.
- Top 10 Keys to Deploying SQL Server on VMware – I get these questions a lot.
My online training classes include:
- Virtualization, SANs, and Hardware for SQL Server – 6+ hour class
- Developer’s Guide to SQL Server Performance – 7+ hour class
- How to Think Like SQL Server – a 90-minute introduction to internals