You need to speed up a SQL Server app, and you’re allowed to change the queries and indexes – but not the server hardware or settings. Good news – I’ll teach you how in 3 days of learning and fun. Join me, Brent Ozar, as I explain how to make your SQL Server apps go faster.
Labs & lectures include:
- How SQL Server builds query plans
- How to find the queries you need to focus on first so end users will notice an improvement
- How to choose between CTEs, temp tables, and APPLY
- How to tune for SELECT * and lots of rows
- How to write dynamic SQL that scales
- How to avoid pitfalls like deadlocks and parameter sniffing
- How SQL Server 2017 & 2019’s new robots help (and hurt)
Prerequisites – first, you need to be already thoroughly familiar with these classes:
- How to Think Like the SQL Server Engine
- Fundamentals of Index Tuning
- Fundamentals of Query Tuning
- Fundamentals of Parameter Sniffing
- Optional: for the absolute best possible experience, we’d recommend taking Mastering Index Tuning before tackling this class.
- After you enroll, do the full prerequisites including chat setup.
Each student needs to bring their own SQL Server. You’re highly encouraged to follow along with the labs – twice a day during the class, you’ll have homework where you need to complete a hands-on lab using SQL Server 2017 or 2019 and the Stack Overflow database. Read the instructions on how to set up your own lab SQL Server to follow along – a lab server is not included unless you buy my Live Class Season Pass PLUS Lab VM.
This mix of lectures and hands-on labs helps reinforce the topics you’re learning and makes sure that you’ll be able to tackle the same kinds of projects in your own environment. (Many students do just that: after hours, they switch into their own environments and use the same diagnostic queries to make immediate improvements in their apps.)
This is a live online class – but you have two buying choices:
- Instant Replay Recordings Only – you can start streaming the Instant Replay recordings as soon as you buy. You don’t have to wait for a live class – you can start learning immediately using the recording from the most recent class. You can watch for a year straight.
- Live Class + Instant Replay – not only do you get instant access to the most recent recordings, but you can also attend all of the live deliveries of this class for 12 months after you buy your ticket. Read the live class logistics page. Here are the upcoming dates scheduled so far:
- December 11-13 (Fri/Sat/Sun), 2020 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (click to see in your own time zone)
- January 12-14 (Tues/Weds/Thurs), 2021 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (click to see in your own time zone)
- March 19-21 (Fri/Sat/Sun), 2021 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (click to see in your own time zone)
- April 27-29 (Tues/Weds/Thurs), 2021 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (click to see in your own time zone)