You need to speed up a SQL Server app, and you’re allowed to change the queries and indexes – but not the server hardware or settings. Good news – I’ll teach you how in 3 days of learning and fun. Join me, Brent Ozar, as I explain how to make your SQL Server apps go faster.
You’ll work along with me in a VM – each student gets their own SQL Server 2019 lab VM in the cloud with the Stack Overflow database and running workloads. Each day is structured like this:
- 9AM-Noon – lectures, where I explain the concepts you’ll be working on
- Noon-2PM – lab and lunch. It’s up to you whether you work on the lab for an hour first, then go to lunch, or vice versa, or spend more time on the lab. Or have martinis for lunch. Whatever.
- 2PM-3PM – you watch me work through the lab you just did, explaining my techniques as I go.
- 3PM-4PM – afternoon lecture
- 4PM-5PM – lab homework (and you can also work on this later if you like – your VM will stay on overnight.)
This mix of lectures and labs helps reinforce the topics you’re learning and makes sure that you’ll be able to tackle the same kinds of projects in your own environment. (Many students do just that: after hours, they switch into their own environments and use the same diagnostic queries to make immediate improvements in their apps.)
You can choose to skip the lab VM – in the Mastering classes, I alternate between lectures and hands-on lab assignments. If you’re willing to build your own lab VM, you can save a ton of money. Just make sure you’ve got access to a SQL Server 2016 or newer with 4-8 CPU cores, 32-64GB RAM, and at least 600GB of free SSD space. Here’s how to set up your own lab workstation.
This is a live online class – I host it in GoToWebinar, live with me on webcam, taking questions in Slack as we go through the material together. Audio can come through either your computer audio, or by dialing into a US phone number – headset recommended either way. For more information, check out the Training Logistics PDF for our online classes.
You can watch again later with Instant Replay – as soon as you buy the class, you can start watching the recordings, and keep watching for a year. Brush up on stuff you missed or revisit your favorite topics. It’s the best of both worlds: live training with me, plus reminders. (Or, you can just buy the Instant Replay access – save money, and start watching your recordings immediately, streaming them in your browser for a year.)
Prerequisites – first, you need to be already thoroughly familiar with my free 90-minute class, How to Think Like the SQL Server Engine, and my 1-day Fundamentals of Index Tuning class. When you’re tuning queries, you’ll do a better job if you understand the differences between clustered & nonclustered indexes, on-row and off-row fields, seeks vs scans, and rowstore & columnstore indexes. Therefore, for the absolute best possible experience, we’d recommend taking Mastering Index Tuning before tackling this class. After you enroll, do the full prerequisites including chat setup.
Class dates & times:
- January 15-17 (Weds/Thurs/Fri), 2020 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)
- April 17-19 (Fri/Sat/Sun), 2020 online 10:00-4:00 Eastern (15:00-21:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)
- May 19-21 (Tues/Weds/Thurs), 2020 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)
- Aug 11-13 (Tues/Weds/Thurs), 2020 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)