You need to speed up a SQL Server app, and you’re allowed to change the queries and indexes – but not the server hardware or settings. Good news – we’ll teach you how in 3 days of learning and fun. Join us, Brent Ozar and Erik Darling, as we explain how to make your SQL Server apps go faster.
You’ll work along with us in a VM – each student gets their own SQL Server 2017 lab VM in the cloud with the Stack Overflow database and running workloads. Each day is structured like this:
- 9AM-Noon – lectures, where we explain the concepts you’ll be working on
- Noon-2PM – lab and lunch. It’s up to you whether you work on the lab for an hour first, then go to lunch, or vice versa, or spend more time on the lab. Or have martinis for lunch. Whatever.
- 2PM-3PM – you watch us work through the lab you just did, explaining our techniques as we go.
- 3PM-4PM – afternoon lecture
- 4PM-5PM – lab homework (and you can also work on this later if you like – your VM will stay on overnight.)
This mix of lectures and labs helps reinforce the topics you’re learning and makes sure that you’ll be able to tackle the same kinds of projects in your own environment. (Many students do just that: after hours, they switch into their own environments and use the same diagnostic queries to make immediate improvements in their apps.)
This is a live online class – We (Brent & Erik) host it in GoToWebinar, live with us on webcam, taking questions as we go through the material together. Audio can come through either your computer audio, or by dialing into a US phone number – headset recommended either way. For more information, check out the Training Logistics PDF for our online classes.
You can watch again later with Instant Replay – as soon as you buy the class, you can start watching the recordings, and keep watching for a year. Brush up on stuff you missed or revisit your favorite topics. It’s the best of both worlds: live training with Brent & Erik, plus reminders. (Or, you can just buy the Instant Replay access – save money, and start watching your recordings immediately, streaming them in your browser for a year.)
Prerequisites – when you’re tuning queries, you’ll do a better job if you understand the differences between clustered & nonclustered indexes, on-row and off-row fields, seeks vs scans, and rowstore & columnstore indexes. Therefore, for the best possible experience, we’d recommend taking Mastering Index Tuning or Index Design & Tuning before tackling this class. We won’t be explaining anything about indexes in this course, and we’re just going to assume you’re thoroughly familiar with them. You’ll also get the biggest bang for the buck if you’ve already completed our T-SQL Level Up 1 and Level Up 2 videos.
Class dates & times:
- January 9-11, 2019 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)
- April 1-3, 2019 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)