You need to speed up a SQL Server app, but you only want to make index changes. You don’t want to buy hardware, change SQL Server, or change the code. Good news – I’ll teach you how in 3 days of learning and fun. Join me, Brent Ozar, as I explain how to make your SQL Server apps go faster just by tuning the indexes.
Labs & lectures include:
- How to deduplicate & prune an existing database with too many indexes
- How to use sp_BlitzIndex to design the right nonclustered indexes for specific queries
- How to assess a large workload and prioritize which tables/indexes to work on first
- How to convert badly-performing recommended indexes into blazing-fast hand-tuned indexes
- How to know when filtered indexes, indexed views, and indexed computed columns will pay off
- How to measure whether your index changes made things better, or worse
- (Note that this class focuses on rowstore indexes for all currently supported versions/editions of SQL Server. Graph, full text, XML, spatial, in-memory OLTP, and columnstore indexes will not be covered.)
Prerequisites – you need to be already thoroughly familiar with my free 90-minute class, How to Think Like the SQL Server Engine, and my 1-day Fundamentals of Index Tuning class. After you enroll, do the full prerequisites including chat setup. Optionally, also attend How I Use the First Responder Kit – students who haven’t used sp_BlitzIndex and sp_BlitzCache before will find this helpful, but it’s not required.
Each student needs to bring their own SQL Server. You’re highly encouraged to follow along with the labs – twice a day during the class, you’ll have homework where you need to complete a hands-on lab using SQL Server 2017 or 2019 and the Stack Overflow database. Read the instructions on how to set up your own lab SQL Server to follow along – a lab server is not included unless you buy my Live Class Season Pass PLUS Lab VM.
This mix of lectures and hands-on labs helps reinforce the topics you’re learning and makes sure that you’ll be able to tackle the same kinds of projects in your own environment. (Many students do just that: after hours, they switch into their own environments and use the same diagnostic queries to make immediate improvements in their apps.)
This is a live online class – but you have two buying choices:
- Instant Replay Recordings Only – you can start streaming the Instant Replay recordings as soon as you buy. You don’t have to wait for a live class – you can start learning immediately using the recording from the most recent class. You can watch for a year straight.
- Live Class + Instant Replay – not only do you get instant access to the most recent recordings, but you can also attend all of the live deliveries of this class for 12 months after you buy your ticket. Read the live class logistics page. Here are the upcoming dates scheduled so far:
- February 12-14 (Fri/Sat/Sun), 2021 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (click to see in your own time zone) – iCal
- March 16-18 (Tues/Weds/Thurs), 2021 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (click to see in your own time zone) – iCal