You need to speed up a SQL Server app, but you only want to make index changes. You don’t want to buy hardware, change SQL Server, or change the code. Good news – I’ll teach you how in 3 days of learning and fun. Join me, Brent Ozar, as I explain how to make your SQL Server apps go faster just by tuning the indexes.
You’ll work along with me in a VM – each student gets their own SQL Server 2017 lab VM in the cloud with the Stack Overflow database and running workloads. Each day is structured like this:
- 9AM-Noon – lectures, where I explain the concepts you’ll be working on
- Noon-2PM – lab and lunch. It’s up to you whether you work on the lab for an hour first, then go to lunch, or vice versa, or spend more time on the lab. Or have martinis for lunch. Whatever.
- 2PM-3PM – you watch me work through the lab you just did, explaining my techniques as I go.
- 3PM-4PM – afternoon lecture
- 4PM-5PM – lab homework (and you can also work on this later if you like – your VM will stay on overnight.)
This mix of lectures and labs helps reinforce the topics you’re learning and makes sure that you’ll be able to tackle the same kinds of projects in your own environment. (Many students do just that: after hours, they switch into their own environments and use the same diagnostic queries to make immediate improvements in their apps.)
Labs & lectures include:
- How to deduplicate & prune an existing database with too many indexes
- How to use sp_BlitzIndex to design the right nonclustered indexes for specific queries
- How to assess a large workload and prioritize which tables/indexes to work on first
- How to convert badly-performing recommended indexes into blazing-fast hand-tuned indexes
- How to know when filtered indexes, indexed views, and indexed computed columns will pay off
- How to measure whether your index changes made things better, or worse
- (Note that this class focuses on mainstream rowstore indexes for all currently supported versions/editions of SQL Server. Full text, XML, spatial, and columnstore indexes will not be covered.)
This is an online class – I (Brent) host it in GoToWebinar, live with me on webcam, taking questions as we go through the material together. Audio can come through either your computer audio, or by dialing into a US phone number – headset recommended either way. For more information, check out the Training Logistics PDF for our online classes.
You can watch again later with Instant Replay – as soon as you buy the class, you can start watching the recordings, and keep watching for a year. Brush up on stuff you missed or revisit your favorite topics. It’s the best of both worlds: live training with Brent, plus reminders.
Prerequisites – you need to be already thoroughly familiar with our free 90-minute class, How to Think Like the SQL Server Engine.
Class dates & times:
- March 19-21, 2018 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)
- June 4-6, 2018 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)
- Sept 4-6, 2018 online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)