Come get hands-on and learn the fundamentals of analysis & machine learning in R, and how to operationalise your work.
In this live two-day course packed with demos and exercises, we’ll take you from no data science knowledge to understanding the fundamentals and being able to put them into production using SQL Server.
Focussing on using R, you’ll learn how to perform important exploratory data analysis, build common predictive models, and integrate data science into your systems with best practices.
You won’t be a PhD in Machine Learning by the end of this, but you’ll be comfortable coding in R and understand the basics of data science.
- Basics of R – Understand how R fits into the data science world, get comfortable with the coding environment, and practice using R.
- Data Manipulation in R – Get hands-on with reading data in from different sources and writing awesome code that helps you analyse data FAST.
- Data Visualization in R – Practice building static and interactive graphics to help you analyse data and present findings.
- Machine Learning Fundamentals – Code your way through the data science process, from data preparation to sampling to building models to evaluating them. Understand the most common types of models, what they’re used for, and how to code them in R.
- Combining R and SQL Server – Embed models into SQL Server and learn how to use these models for batch and real-time predictions. Understand how you can work with R in SQL Server and what architectural and operational considerations you should think about.
- We will use a prepared environment available via browser to save infrastructure issues but if you want to to do everything on your machine, then you will need to install R, RStudio, and the SQL Server ODBC 13 driver.
- It will also be helpful if you have SQL Server Management Studio or some other interface available that will make it easier to browse a database.
About the instructor: Steph Locke is a Microsoft Data Platform MVP with a decade of business intelligence and data science experience. Having worked in a variety of industries (including finance, utilities, insurance, and cyber-security,) Steph has tackled a wide range of business challenges with data. She has a broad background in the Microsoft Data Platform and Azure. She’s equally conversant with open source tools; from databases like MySQL and PostgreSQL, to analytical languages like R and Python.
This is a live online class. We host it in GoToWebinar, live with Steph Locke on webcam, with a 75-minute lunch break. Audio can come through either your computer audio, or by dialing into a US phone number – headset recommended either way. For more information, check out the Training Logistics PDF for our online classes.
You can watch again later with Instant Replay – as soon as you buy the class, you can start watching the recordings, and keep watching for a year. Brush up on stuff you missed or revisit your favorite topics. It’s the best of both worlds: live training with Steph, plus reminders.
Class dates & times:
- May 10-11, 2018 (Thurs-Fri) online 9:00-5:00 Eastern (14:00-22:00 UTC) (click to see in your own time zone)