We published a whopping 312 blog posts in 2017! Looking back, wow, there was a lot of fun stuff in here.
First, here’s the ones you read the most:
25. Max Worker Threads – Don’t Touch That
24. Announcing Our 2017 Black Friday Doorbusters
23. Ola Hallengren’s Maintenance Scripts are Now on Github
21. SQL Server DBA’s Guide to the Gitlab Outage
20. What is the biggest mistake you made in production?
19. How to Do a Free SQL Server Performance Check
18. Why Missing Index Recommendations Aren’t Perfect
17. sp_DatabaseRestore: Open Source Database Restore Stored Procedure
16. SQL Server on Linux is the New SQL Server on Windows Core
15. How to Drop All of Your Indexes – Fast
14. Indexing for Windowing Functions: WHERE vs OVER
13. Tell Us What You Make: The 2018 Data Professional’s Salary Survey
12. How to Do a SQL Server Architecture Review
11. Tell Us What You Make: The 2017 Data Professional Salary Survey
(That one makes the cut because we launched it on Jan 5, 2017. We started a little earlier this year.)
10. The 2017 Data Professional Salary Survey Results
9. How to Do a Free SQL Server Health Check
8. Why Cost Threshold for Parallelism Shouldn’t Be Set To 5
7. Five Mistakes Performance Tuners Make
6. SQL Server 2017 Release Date: October 19, 2017?
5. What is Batch Requests/sec?
4. SQL Server 2017 Release Date: May 31?
3. Let’s Corrupt a SQL Server Database Together, Part 1: Clustered Indexes
2. SSMS 2017 Is Now Available for Download
1. GDPR: Why We Stopped Selling Stuff to Europe
(Amazing since that was only about a week ago – it went viral)
Here’s the ones you commented on the most:
25. The 2017 Company Retreat in Photos: Alaska – 32
24. Max Worker Threads: Don’t Touch That – 33
23. What If Week: What Would You Fix or Change? – 33
22. What Is Batch Requests/sec? – 33
21. Kickstarter-Style Ideas for our PASS Summit Pre-Con – 34
20. Announcing T-SQL Tuesday #86: SQL Server Bugs & Enhancement Requests – 34
19. There’s Something Funny About Variable Assignment – 35
18. Announcing Our 2017 Black Friday Doorbusters – 36
17. Build Me A Build: Assembly Olympics – 37
16. Things Your SQL Server Monitoring Software Should Tell You – 38
15. Live Blogging: Erik vs. PowerShell – 42
14. I’m just saying it’s valid T-SQL syntax, that’s all. – 44
13. Learning SQL Server is painful. – 45
12. Group Post: If I Took Another DBA Job, My First Question Would Be… – 45
11. Good Reasons to Rebuild or Reorganize Indexes – 47
10. sp_DatabaseRestore: Open Source Database Restore Stored Procedure – 50
9. GDPR: Why We Stopped Selling Stuff to Europe – 59
8. What is the biggest mistake you made in production? – 70
7. Does Separating Your Data and Log Files Make Your Server More Reliable? – 71
6. Tell Us What You Make: The 2017 Data Professional Salary Survey – 81
5. What Questions Would You Ask on a Salary Survey? – 104. You really helped us shape the first one this year.
4. What Should We Change About the Data Professional Salary Survey? – 114. When it came time to do the next one, you were all over it, and I really appreciate your help.
3. What Would You Put in SQL Server 2018? – 146
2. Guess the SQL Server 2018 Release Date Contest – 280
1. Guess the SQL Server 2017 Release Date Contest – 286
Here’s to another fun, interactive year in 2018. I’m really grateful to y’all – you make this such a fun place to be.
I’m grateful to you and the gang, Brent, past & present.
You’ve made SQL Server a fun place for me to be.
17 years in Oracle I never experienced so much love as the SQL Community in the last 4 years.
Kendra is so fun. Folks walk by desk during her webinars and I point and say “Tech Crush.”
Erik is a mess. His blog post humor always makes me twist my face then bust out laughing.
The more I hang out at Office Hours I see Ritchie has a nice twisted humor, also.
Tara is just so smart. I wish she worked with me on my AG.
Thank You, Guys.
I feel your passion and love and I thank you.