If you follow people that don’t interest you, then you won’t be interested in Twitter.
If you follow people that interest you, then you’ll be interested in Twitter.
It’s just that simple.
When I hear people saying they don’t like Twitter, and I start asking about why, it usually falls into one of two categories:
- They didn’t have enough spare time for it. If you don’t have enough spare time to do something, that doesn’t mean it sucks. I don’t have enough spare time to go fishing right now, but that doesn’t mean fishing sucks.
- They followed the wrong people. Just because somebody follows you doesn’t mean you have to follow them back. As of right now, I’m only following about half the number of people that are following me. I follow people ***I*** find interesting, not people who find ***ME*** interesting. To those of you who are following me and I’m not following back, don’t take it personally: it’s not you, it’s me.
If you want to enjoy Twitter, follow people who really interest you, and only follow as many as you have the spare time to interact with. That’s why I only follow a fraction of the people who follow me – it’s not that I don’t like everybody, but there’s just not enough hours in the day to hear everybody.
More of My Twitter Articles
- Top 10 Reasons I’m Not Following You On Twitter – wondering why nobody’s following you back?
- Top 10 Reasons I *AM* Following You – how I pick who gets past my virtual bouncer.
- Twitter T-Shirts and Coffee Cups – you can get Twitter shirts with the fail whale, or get your own Twitter profile on a shirt.
- Twitter RT, OH, HT: The Slang Explained – I talk about what these cryptic terms mean and how to use them correctly.
- Twitter Client Demo Video – I show you TweetDeck, Seesmic Desktop and Orsiso, three different Twitter clients.
- How to Make a Bigger Twitter Profile – when people glance at your Twitter profile, they make a snap decision about whether to follow you. Give them the information they need to make a good decision.
- Browse All Posts Tagged “Twitter”
- How To Start a Blog – decide why you’re blogging, because that’ll affect the type of blog you start and how you build it.
- Browse All Posts Tagged “Blogging”
Want More Blogging & Twitter Tips? Follow me on Twitter. I tweet whenever I post a new blog entry, so you’ll always know when I’ve got new stuff. See you online!